- Laws: Criminal Law (narcotic substances) 23.737/89
- Law for the Research of medical cannabis (27.350/17, recently (re)reglamented with the Decrete 883/20 that allowed new ways to access the cannabis (flowers or resin) prescribed by a doctor)
- No Personal Adult Use
- No Licenses For Production
- Medical Cannabis is available for those willing to jump through hoops and deal both with government departments and be prepared to go to court to get a judge to approve the import of a specific medical product as well as decide who pays for that product ( private medical insurance / the government / the individual)
- Medical self grow is a possibility but to precis, it isn’t a simple process
Cannabis Knowledge Lacking
As with most countries where there has been a conservative approach to personal and medical cannabis use knowledge has been in short supply with Barreneche intimating that not only do the politicians have a long way to go but also the judiciary, medical profession and civil service all of whom it will be incumbent upon to formalize and manage any system put into place after legislation has been voted on.
Presented 15 June 2021 the legislation aims to do a number of things.
It aims to create a regulated environment for both medical cannabis and industrial hemp and via input from Argentina’s many cannabis patients associations the push is also for an equitable and knowledge based approach to the prescribing and use of medical cannabis in the country.
Hemp regulation also plays an important part with Argentina looking to start growing industrial hemp
(at 1% THC limit) to produce biofuel, textiles, paper and construction materials.
It looks as though there will be a single agency dealing with all aspects of medical and industrial licensing, compliance & regulation.
With regard to recreational (adult use) the current draft bill doesn’t broach the subject.
Here’s the Bill (PDF/Spanish)
Argentina cannabis leg
argentina legislation 2
For more information about the bill please contact
Law Firm: F&B Canna
President Diana Barreneche