For me the journey started in December 2013. We applied for a license to own and operate a retail cannabis store in Washington State following the passage of Initiative 502 in November 2012 legalizing recreational use of marijuana.Read More
Category: Rob Hendrix
The fact that these happenings have occurred is beyond question. The potential under reporting of sales may have resulted in an underpayment of excise taxes and sales taxes to the State Department of Revenue, and perhaps even underpayment of Federal income taxes.Read More
In an earlier article, we discussed “Being a Good Neighbor” in which we talked specifically about being a good neighbor in the literal sense; a good tenant, a good co-business, a good citizen in your community. In this article, we will discuss another type of “Good Neighbor”, being a good steward of the Cannabis industry. We will hit upon three (3) topics: being involved in the process of making necessary changes for the good of the industry, being a good retail partner in dealing with grower/processors, and leading your retail team by example.Read More
This article will delve into what it means to be a bad neighbor, a bad influence in our still controversial industry, a bad steward of our still fragile Cannabis world in Washington State and to a great degree, the USA as a whole.Read More
Rob Hendrix writes on the choices communities must undertake in regulated states with regard to regulation or a thriving black market. There is no in between. To paraphrase brother Wayne Kramer and the MC5, “Brothers and sisters, the time has come for each and every one of you to decide whether you are going to be the problem or whether you are going to be the solution (That’s right) You must choose brothers, you must choose… It’s Time To Kick Out the Jams………Read More
Opening Your Cannabis Dispensary: Remember The Local Police Dept, Fire Marshal & City Attorney Must Become Important Allies
The Friday prior to my opening my State legal Cannabis retail shop in Ellensburg in Central Washington State, I invited the Chief of Police, City Manager, City Attorney and our local Fire Marshal for a meeting. This meeting was held in my retail shop on Friday August 22, 2014 before we were slated to Grand Open on the following Monday, August 25, 2014.Read More
Does The History Of The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board Inform Some The Current Issues The Board Is Having With Field Enforcement Officers & Internal Culture
Rob Hendrix of Cannabis Consulting Nationwide investigates. “I have been asked to write a story that attempts to deal with very real problems with the roll out of 502 in general and in particular how the evolution of our regulatory framework has been affected by the WSLCB, the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board, more typically today known as the LCB. First, a brief history.”Read More
When they said “global”, boy did they mean it. Mexico, Canada, Germany, Spain and Israel as well as the USA were all represented. The future of global trade and enterprise in Cannabis is truly bright I feel safe in reporting.Read More
Rob Hendrix, Cannabis Consulting Nationwide Speaking at Global Cannabis Business Development Conference in Portland, Oregon March 1
I am speaking at 2:15 but I would invite everyone to attend this conference which begins at the Crowne Plaza in Portland on February 28.Read More
As many of you know, I own a State legal Cannabis retail shop in my hometown of Ellensburg, Washington. Its called Cannabis Central of Ellensburg. My store motto, aka Mission Statement is: “To be the model recreational Cannabis store in the State of Washington”. The “model”. To me it means being the best, not necessarily the biggest, but the most well run, clean, efficient, respected, etc establishment in the industry.Read More
Good morning. My name is Rob Hendrix and I am the founder of Cannabis Consulting Nationwide. I came to this place by taking the leap of faith in Washington State’s Initiative 502 which as you probably are aware created the legal, adult-use Cannabis market in Washington State. I opened my retail Cannabis shop, Cannabis Central of Ellensburg, on August 25, 2014. The vetting process to make myself eligible for the Lottery system in order to obtain a retail Cannabis was in a word, grueling. Opening the shop was a shock; to my community, my friends, my family.Read More
In Washington State, since the Cole Memo has been essentially rescinded, the Attorney General of the US has left it up to the Regional US Attorneys to decide if and how how to prosecute Cannabis-related crimes. The Eastern Washington US Attorney is known to be somewhat conservative and likely to pursue the alleged crime with some energy and enthusiasm. This revelation is scary and I mean for it be exactly that.Read More
My store opened on a Monday in August but I held a very important meeting at my shop the Friday before. I had previously invited the City Attorney, City Manager, Chief of Police as well as the Fire Marshal to attend a meeting to discuss their collective concerns, suggestions, and/or questions.Read More
“We need to internalize this idea of excellence. Not many folks spend a lot of time trying to be excellent.” Barack Obama
This is still a misunderstood and therefore a controversial industry. I have worked very hard to honor and abide by my mission statement. And excellence ladies and gentlemen is how we will turn people’s negative opinions around. Excellence in how we run our store, excellence in how we understand and welcome and endeavor to deal effectively while being empathetic to with people’s fears. Excellence in how we work with government at all levels in creating a regulatory environment that is fair and workable and sustainable for all, especially frankly those who are concerned about Cannabis in society. Excellence in our hiring, training, managing our employees, always insisting our employees be respectful to all at all times.Read More
The problem was that I felt very strongly women would not feel comfortable in these environments. I firmly believe we need to run our shops so that women, over 21 of course!, feel safe, secure, comfortable, and clean! After being in some these early shops, which felt more like head shops to me, I felt the need to immediately go home and shower!Read More
Selling To A Minor: “I will never attempt to minimize the importance of never, ever selling to a minor.”
We have a list of acceptable forms of ID here in Washington State. And it is the law that no one under 21 can even be on the premises let alone purchase product. (There are exceptions for minors who possess a State legal medical authorization card, but that’s a cumbersome discussion to attempt here so I’ll save it for another article). There are actually different rules pertaining to acceptable forms of ID for purchasing Cannabis than tobacco and/or alcohol. It’s much more stringent for Cannabis, of course!Read More
There is a flourishing “gray” market in Canada. By definition a “gray” market is very nearly a “black” market in reality. It is not subject to the same rigid controls, laws and restraints that the “legal” shops have to contend with. But, in an ironic twist, the gray market stores are the only ones who can satisfy demand and take care of the Cannabis consuming public.Read More
Part of the panel at the O’Cannabis Conference and Expo in Vancouver BC in December of 2018.
Published 14 December 2018
I calculated that our little shop has completed nearly 500,000 transactions since opening in August of 2014. All with no serious violations of any kindRead More
Search Cannabis Law Report
Langlois – Cannabis
- Half-Baked: Edibles, Beverages and New Cannabis Products to Be Legalized and Regulated in 2019
- Health Canada Announces Changes to the Cannabis Licensing Process
- Cannabis: Legal Age and Public Places – the Consultations Are Over
- New Cannabis Products: Changes Are Coming to the Federal Legal Framework in 2019
Cannabis Operating Plan Templates
- 5 Best Practices for Retail Staffing in Cannabis
Finding the right employees to elevate your business can be a challenge.
- Here's How to Reduce the Cost of Cannabis for Consumers
Consumers could be saving money while cultivators extract higher profits.
- New Study: Adult-Use Cannabis Availability Reduces Opioid Deaths
A study found that opioid deaths were reduced by more than 20% in areas with legal cannabis.
- How to Become a Cannabis Entrepreneur in Europe
Looking for a new business opportunities in the space? Consider opening up shop across the pond.
- Barneys Department Store Is Betting on the Luxury World of Weed
Inside Barneys' posh cannabis store, The High End.
NACB Latest News
- NACB Passes Leading Lab Testing & Product Integrity Standard
New York - The NACB is proud to announce the adoption of its National Standards on Laboratory Testing and Product Integrity. These standards are designed to protect consumers and demonstrate to […]
- Indicas and Sativas...Oh My! What's the Difference?
Chances are good that when you venture into a cannabis dispensary and talk to a patient care specialist, you will be eventually be posed with the classic question: “Are you looking for an […]
- Cannabis Employment Symposium Hosted in LA
On March 28, 2019 the NACB and Vangst are teaming up to hold an all-day exclusive Symposium on Cannabis Employment - the event is taking place at the Westin Bonaventure in downtown LA. This […]
- Cannabis: What’s Trust Got To Do With It?
At the NACB, we like to say we’re the most trusted credential in cannabis. We’ve made trust our currency because in today’s world of unlimited products, services and experiences, […]
- We Love Our Members, We Also Love Discounts
We are thrilled to announce that the NACB has partnered with botaniCo to provide NACB members with FREE access to their business discount program.&nbs
Sponsor – aBizinaBox
Sponsor – Cannabis Law Digest
- Hansen v. U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
911 F.3d 1362 (Fed. Cir. 2018)Employee was properly dismissed from his position after a positive drug test because the Department of Homeland […]
- Horn v. Medical Marijuana, Inc.
15-701 (W.D.N.Y. 2019)CBD byproduct from the extraction process is essentially a resin extracted from cannabis, which in 2012 fell within the […]
- Sena v. New Mexico Dept. of Health
No. D-101-CV-2016-01971 (N.M. Dist. 2018)The purpose of the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act is to assure medical cannabis patients in New Mexico […]
- Eplee v. City of Lansing
2019 Mich. App. LEXIS 1320 (Mich. Ct. App. 2019)A company is not required to change its drug policy to allow a medical marijuana patient to […]
- Llamas v. Titus
No. 2018-0516 (Del. Ch. 2019)Following the death of his co-member, the remaining member and manager of a cannabis company, amended an operating […]
- September 4 @ 8:00 am - September 6 @ 5:00 pm UTC+0
- September 30 @ 8:00 am - October 1 @ 5:00 pm UTC+0
- October 1 - October 3
- October 1 @ 8:00 am - October 3 @ 5:00 pm UTC+0
- October 1 @ 2:00 pm - October 3 @ 4:00 pm UTC+0
The Marijuana Times Says Illegal Cannabis Oil Sales Are Linked To National Outbreak of Lung Damage https://t.co/4Tu1Ml4umgLoad More...
The Marijuana Times Says Illegal Cannabis Oil Sales Are Linked To National Outbreak of Lung Damage https://t.co/4Tu1Ml4umg
Hoban Law Group Blog
CFN Media Group Blog
- MedMen Launches Delivery Services Across California
- Auxly Enters Into a 300 Acre Hemp Cultivation and Purchase Agreement...
- PharmaCielo’s Very First Commercial CBD Export from Colombia Lands...
- Curaleaf Completes Acquisition of Glendale Greenhouse
- Halo Announces Partnership with ilo to Sell CBD Products Utilizing...
Green Market Report
- The Daily Hit: August 19, 2019
- Executive Spotlight: Socrates Rosenfeld, Co-Founder & CEO of Jane Technologies
- CannTrust Says Cease Trade Order Approved
- Green Market Report’s Marijuana Money August 16, 2019
- The Daily Hit: August 15, 2019
- Trulieve Posts Strong Numbers in Second Quarter Financial Results
- Executive Spotlight: Leslie Ann Andrachuk Co-founder & CEO of Alpha Woman
- Harvest Health Posts Q2 Financial Results, Revenue Jumps 39%
- Money Moves From Aurora Cannabis, Green Growth Brands
- Canopy Growth Stock Falls On Earnings News
Cannabis Law Journal
- Another Anti-Cannabis RICO Case Goes Up in Smoke, But an Existential Threat Remains
- Outline – HopgoodGanim Lawyers: Medicinal Cannabis in Australia: issues and regulations
- Are Recent Medicinal Cannabis Flower Exports out of Jamaica Legal?
- Cannabis Law Journal: April 2019 Issue 12
- Frost Brown Todd – Now is the Time to Plan IP Strategies for Industrial Hemp
- The protection of cannabis companies financial rights within Colombia’s legal system
- What Cannabis Cultivators and Retailers Need to Know About Product Liability Lawsuits
- Key Legal Considerations for Cross-Border Cannabis and Hemp Agreements
- UK: Medicinal Cannabis – How far have we really come?
- TNI Publish Free PDF: Cannabis Regulation in Europe: Country Report Netherlands