As director of the regulatory affairs department at Tilleke & Gibbins, Dr. Atthachai Homhuan leads the firm’s cannabis team. He helps life sciences, pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, cosmetics, and biotechnology companies understand Thailand’s ongoing legal reforms for cannabis business activities, and advises some of the world’s leading cannabis companies on a wide range of business operations and strategy for product registrations, technology transfer, IP transactions, trade secrets, partnerships, corporate structuring, R&D, and investment in Thailand. With unparalleled knowledge of the latest regulatory developments and their current application, Atthachai guides the Tilleke & Gibbins cannabis team in structuring productive and profitable partnerships, joint ventures, and strategic IP-sharing arrangements that are in full compliance with the relevant legal requirements.
Atthachai works with clients involved in a wide range of activities in the hemp and medical cannabis industry, from seeds and cultivation, to extraction of cannabinoids and hemp oils, to production of CBD and cannabinoid-infused products for sale in domestic and international markets. He also provides advice on permitted industrial applications, cannabis import/export activities, and Thai customs procedure for cannabinoids, cannabis derivatives, and hemp, as well as guidance on CBD and other cannabis components as food, cosmetics, and drug ingredients.
With a PhD in Pharmaceutical Technology from Thailand’s Mahidol University and broad experience assisting life sciences clients, Atthachai has the expertise to handle a wide range of complex and highly technical matters, such as healthcare product registrations, plant audits, pre-clinical and clinical trials, and healthcare product labeling for food, cosmetics, medical devices, and drug products in Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries.
- Advised several of the world’s leading cannabis companies on structuring business partnerships and joint ventures in Thailand with the assistance of Tilleke & Gibbins’ corporate and commercial team, and provided guidance on related technology transfers, registered and unregistered IP, and trade secrets.
- Assisted Thailand’s regulatory authority with translating the Narcotics Act and relevant cannabis regulations.
- Assisted various international life sciences companies with establishing operations for medical cannabis and cannabidiol (CBD) product R&D and manufacturing.
- Arranged high-level meetings between representatives of the Australian and Canadian Cannabis industry with key thought leaders in the cannabis industry in Thailand.
- Handled corporate establishment of the Thai Cannabis Industry Association (TCIA), a not-for-profit organization that aims to promote the growth of the medical cannabis industry in Thailand and throughout Southeast Asia.