We are a high-growth technology company helping cannabis regulators govern their industry’s supply chain. We provide the system and tags that track products from seed to sale – and everything in between: harvest, manufacture, testing, and transportation. We work with regulators to help monitor the industry, make sense of the vast amount of data in our system, and ensure public safety through product tracing and investigation support. Our goal is to make the legal cannabis industry safer and more transparent for everyone.
We’re looking for a Government Affairs (GA) Manager to lead our engagement with state legislators, regulators, and other stakeholders in both existing and target markets: introducing our company, explaining the benefits of our solution, and supporting our government sales pipeline. In addition to its primary state GA responsibilities, the role will also support our federal and international GA activities. The GA Manager will report into the Director of External Affairs and Business Development (EABD).
You are a seasoned Government Affairs professional with an intimate understanding of how public policy is crafted, implemented, and changed over time – including how legislators and regulators interact with third parties. You are an excellent communicator (written and oral) and have a knack for making complex issues easy to understand. You are an accomplished relationship builder, have a passion for technology policy, and excel at defining and executing a comprehensive GA strategy. You are highly motivated, quick on your feet, and detail oriented. Most importantly, you’re eager to work at a company that is experiencing rapid growth and are comfortable defining direction, taking on responsibility, and working cross functionally.
About the Role
- Lead the development and execution of state government affairs strategies to advance the interests of the company.
- Oversee state GA consultants and lobbyists:
- Manage outreach prioritization, planning, and execution between states;
- Facilitate two-way information flow through monthly and ad-hoc meetings;
- Ensure updates and deliverables are provided on time and at expectations;
- Identify, negotiate, and partner with additional GA contractors, as necessary; and
- Evaluate return on investment (ROI).
- Execute state outreach, acting as the company’s representative to and cultivating relationships with state stakeholders. Coordinate with lobbyists, internal SMEs, and the Director of EABD as necessary.
- Collaborate with Metrc Marketing, Communications, and consultant teams on the planning and development of state government communications, events, and campaigns, including the creation of talking points and materials.
- In conjunction with GA contractors, monitor relevant public policy issues, current
- events, bills, laws, and rules; generate reports and briefs when appropriate on any
- risks or opportunities for the company.
- Own political compliance and reporting for the company, including state registrations, lobbyist disclosures, and internal reports on external engagement.
- Support the Director of EABD and the Chief Operating Officer on both federal and international government affairs engagement.
- Support Metrc’s proposals for government procurements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, management, or a related field is required for this job.
- Minimum five years of progressively challenging government affairs experience, preferably across multiple states and on technology issues (or in another heavily regulated industry).
- Experience working in a broad range of policy, regulatory, and legal environments.
- Ability to work independently yet collaboratively with both internal and external peers, elected officials, regulators, and constituencies; exercise judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within the core values of the company
- Demonstrated understanding of policy-making process; ability to read, analyze, and interpret legislation and regulations
- Ability to work well under pressure on multiple projects while producing high-quality deliverables within critical deadlines.
- Travel required; must be willing to work evenings, and weekends as needed to meet job requirements.
- This is a remote role, but candidates will be offered relocation assistance if they prefer to be in office.
Helpful Candidate Background:
- Government Procurement
- State Lobbying
- Policy Analysis and/or Development
- Coalition Building
- Business Development
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Metrc LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
Metrc LLC does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Metrc offers a full benefit package that includes that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401k with a company match; and paid time off.