Have you noticed a steady rise of cannabidiol (CBD) products in the market in recent years? If you have, that’s because this compound has been gaining popularity for its health and aesthetic benefits. As more and more jurisdictions are legalizing cannabis, different fields have been adapting and introducing cannabis-derived products.
CBD is a compound found in the cannabis plant. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it doesn’t have psychoactive properties that give users the feeling of being ‘high.’ This is why it’s being widely used in alternative medicine and, recently, even in organic skincare. Topical products, like the CBD lotion, are known as effective analgesics.
More specifically, this product serves the following purposes:
- Relieves joint pain. Cannabis compounds can control symptoms of inflammatory pain. In effect, CBD lotion can ease aches and tension in specific body parts, especially joints that are close to the skin, such as your wrists, elbows, and knees.
When CBD is applied to the skin, it produces chemicals called cannabinoids. These chemicals interact with a high density of cannabinoid receptors on the skin that mediate pain, effectively dimming pain sensations.
- Anti-aging. The body naturally produces free radicals that are associated with skin aging. There are also external factors that contribute to high levels of free radicals, such as overexposure to the sun, pollution, and cosmetic products.
With its antioxidant properties, CBD can fight free radicals. It can also help manage sunburn, sunspots, redness, acne, and other damages to the skin.
Making CBD Lotion
You can easily find CBD-infused skin products online. Also, it’s actually not difficult to make one at home. If you have high-quality ingredients and the right equipment, you can try creating your own CBD lotion.
To start your homemade lotion, you’ll need these ingredients:
- 2 teaspoon of concentrated CBD oil
- ½ cup shea butter or cocoa butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup aloe vera gel
- 1-2 cups of water
If you want a scented lotion, you can add a fragrant essential oil of your choice. Afterward, prepare these cooking tools:
- Double boiler
- Heat-safe glass container
- Blender or hand mixer
- Air-tight container
Now, follow these steps:
- Put some water into the bottom part of the double boiler (about two inches high from the base) and warm it in medium heat.
- Put shea or cocoa butter in the upper part of the boiler and melt it with a spatula until completely smooth. Keep stirring to get rid of lumps and prevent burning.
- Transfer the melted butter into the glass container and let it cool for around an hour.
- Add CBD oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera. Add as much fragrant essential oil as desired. Stir everything together.
- Blend the lotion until it becomes thick with a whipped consistency.
- Transfer the end product into an air-tight container and refrigerate.
This recipe produces about one to two cups of CBD lotion. It can last for at least a month with proper refrigeration.
You can also make bigger batches and sell your product, especially since CBD advertising has never been easier nowadays. Thus, there are many ways to start and grow your business even in the face of stiff competition.
Getting The Right CBD Dosage
For homemade CBD lotions, you should only use highly-concentrated CBD oil. This way, you can have enough CBD components without affecting the overall consistency of the mixture, which the other oils in this recipe tend to do.
For instance, this recipe uses two teaspoons of concentrated CBD oil, which is equivalent to 10 milliliters. Check the concentration level on your oil’s bottle or label and do a little math to know how much CBD is in one milliliter. As the number increases, so does the potency of your lotion.
Getting The Right Consistency
Producing lotion in large amounts isn’t as easy as making small amounts for your personal use. Estimation is tricky and you’re bound to encounter some issues. For instance, you may have trouble getting the right texture and consistency.
As a tip, if it’s too thick, gradually add more aloe vera gel and re-blend it until it’s fully whipped. If it’s too thin, make another mixture of shea or cocoa butter and coconut oil and gradually add it to the lotion. When making adjustments, the key is to add the ingredients one tablespoon at a time. This lets you properly observe the changes in the consistency and narrows your margin of error.
More and more studies are coming out to confirm CBD’s healing properties and aesthetic benefits. At this point, it seems rather foolish not to take advantage of opportunities to harness its potential. If you’re new to CBD-infused products, you can start with this basic lotion and see if it suits your needs.