Cannabidiol (CBD) is the second-most famous pharmacologically beneficial extract obtained from cannabis. As a result, it is generally recommended for medical use. On the other hand, tetrahydrocannabinol enjoys popularity among recreational marijuana users. That’s primarily due to THC’s ability to induce psychedelic effects, also known as euphoria or ‘high.’
CBD is mainly used for pain relief. However, the compound also boasts anxiolytic properties and may offer relief for stress and anxiety. Insomnia, inflammatory conditions, nausea, and epileptic seizures are other common medical issues you can treat using cannabidiol. This article highlights CBD brownies with a particular focus on how to prepare these gummies at home.
Brownie, also known as chocolate brownie, is a rectangular or square chocolate-baked confection. While chocolate tends to be the critical ingredient in brownies, these products usually feature a host of other ingredients. Examples include cream cheese, frosting, and nuts. Now, CBD brownies simply refer to brownies infused with cannabidiol.
Health Benefits of CBD Brownies
CBD brownies come with the numerous healing benefits of cannabidiol.
Quality CBD brownies or other popular cannabidiol-based products like CBD sour gummies may offer relief from pain. Cannabidiol treats pain by impacting various receptors and neurotransmitters in the body involved in pain management. CBD increases the signaling of transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V member 1 (TrpV1), one of the body’s critical receptors involved in pain mediation. The compound also increases the levels of anandamide, a neurotransmitter associated with pain relief.
Besides pain, CBD brownies may also treat stress and anxiety. Cannabidiol treats anxiety by stimulating the secretion of hormones associated with happiness. Examples of these hormones include dopamine and serotonin. In addition, studies have found that CBD-based products may treat all the major anxiety disorders. They include generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
People living with sleep disorders like insomnia may also benefit immensely from consuming CBD brownies. Cannabidiol is a renowned sedative that aids sleep by shortening sleep latency. CBD also fights insomnia by shortening rapid eye movement (REM) sleep while treating various side effects of insomnia like REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD).
Other medical conditions that CBD brownies may treat include inflammatory diseases like inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS), neurological conditions like epileptic seizures, metabolic disorders like diabetes, to mention but a few.
Why Choose CBD Brownies
There are numerous ways to consume cannabidiol. For example, you can smoke-dried cannabis flowers, vape CBD-containing e-juices, or spray CBD tinctures underneath your tongue. You could also consume cannabidiol by applying CBD-enriched ointments or ingesting other edible products like CBD-infused gummies and beverage drinks.
So, why opt for brownies instead? The primary reason to consider CBD brownies is that they’re straightforward to integrate into your lifestyle. You can include brownies in your breakfast or carry them to work and consume them as your mid-morning snack. Either way, no one will ever know that you consumed CBD. That’s in contrast to other delivery methods like smoking and vaping, which offer limited discretion.
Another reason to consider CBD brownies is that they deliver long-lasting benefits. The effects of gummies can last in your system for up to 24 hours. For comparison’s sake, the effects of smoking or vaping cannabidiol usually wear off in about an hour.
And needless to say, CBD brownies still boast the therapeutic benefits of cannabidiol.
How to Make CBD Brownies At Home
What You’ll Need
- CBD oil
- 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips
- One ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of butter (or about two sticks, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- Four tablespoons of melted butter
- ¼ cup of unsweetened cocoa butter
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of packed brown sugar
- Five large eggs
- One teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- Baking pan
- One medium-sized bowl
- One large heat-proof bowl
- Parchment paper
- Rubber spatula
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the baking pan’s sides and bottom using parchment paper or aluminum foil. This makes it straightforward to remove the brownies from the pan when they’re ready.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add water and heat it so that it’s barely simmering.
- Place a large heat-proof bowl over the simmering water to create a double-boiler.
- Add CBD oil, butter, and chocolate chips to the bowl.
- Heat the mixture, occasionally stirring till the butter and chocolate melt and form a uniform consistency.
- Remove the mixture and whisk in the sugars, then stir until uniformly combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring continuously between each addition.
- Stir in 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla or your preferred flavor-enhancer.
- Add the flour/cocoa powder mixture to the CBD oil/butter mixture and carefully fold some ingredients using a rubber spatula until evenly combined.
- Prepare a baking pan and pour batter into it.
- Place peanut butter and microwave it on ‘high’ for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in melted butter, a teaspoon of vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle brownie batter over the mixture and swirl using a knife.
- Bake the mixture for around 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out with minimal moist crumbs.
- Allow the mixture to cool off completely.
Dosing CBD Brownies
CBD has no ideal dose. The amount of CBD brownies that you consume depends on various factors. They include your age, body weight, the strength of cannabidiol in the brownies, and the severity of the disease you’re trying to treat.
However, the conventional wisdom is to start low and build momentum gradually. Note that overdosing on cannabidiol may trigger a host of side effects, such as nausea and drowsiness.
Storing CBD Brownies
CBD brownies can last up to six months if stored in ideal conditions. However, it’s recommended to make CBD brownies that you can finish in a few doses. To store CBD brownies, wrap each brownie in foil or waxed paper. Then store the gummies in a resealable or airtight plastic bag and keep it in a cool, dry, and dark spot.
There goes our definitive guide on preparing CBD brownies. Before making CBD brownies at home, remember to establish your local marijuana laws. Also, moderate your intake of CBD to avoid experiencing adverse effects.