If you’ve never tried marijuana tea, it is a very simple drink to make and it is incredibly soothing. You can make it by just steeping some marijuana in a little hot water. How the effect works is like this; THC gets released into your system as you consume the drink and renders a calm high which is great for reducing stress or pain.
Of course, the consumption of marijuana is not legal in all jurisdictions, so just make sure it is before you try this. If it is legal, and you want to give it a try, there are a few steps to follow below. Just be aware that, for your tea to have potency, the THC first needs to be extracted from the cannabis plant. This requires some fatty substance for it to bind to under heat, as it is not water-soluble. The heat from the tea combined with the butter from the process below will extract the THC and give you a great marijuana tea.
Making Weed Tea
- Grind the cannabis buds, separating stems and seeds as you go, if necessary. You can either use a grinder or a sharp knife to chop the buds until they’re finely chopped, but have not become a powder.
- The next step is to put the buds in a bowl and mix them with some butter using a spoon or some other mixing implement. Make sure that the marijuana is completely covered, but without it becoming soaked. Too much butter will restrict the THC from being released.
- Once mixed, put the marijuana and butter mix into some tea bags; making sure that you first remove the original contents. You can also use a metal tea ball if you have one available or a coffee filter bag. Place whichever option you are using in a saucepan of water.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and bring it to a simmer, but not a full boil.
- Simmer for around 30 minutes, reducing if the water starts to boil and increasing the amount of water if it begins to evaporate.
- Remove the water from the heat and take the teabag out of the water. You need to let the tea sit for around 5 minutes as it will be very hot at this point. If you like your tea strong (only ½ gram will provide plenty of potency) or flavoured, then you may have to add a new teabag at this stage and repeat Step 5 above.
- You can stir some honey or sugar into your tea depending on your taste, then sit back and enjoy a nice warm weed tea.
Making Marijuana Chai Latte
- Grind the cannabis buds, separating stems and seeds as you go, if necessary. You can either use a grinder a sharp knife to chop the buds until they’re finely chopped, but have not become a powder.
- Place your marijuana, along with some butter, milk and vanilla (essence) into a blender. Blend the mixture until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Allow the mixture to rest for around one hour so the flavours have a chance to merge with one another.
- Add water and the mixture to a saucepan, place on a stove and simmer for around 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the saucepan to make sure it does not boil or evaporate; adding more water as required.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chai tea bag. Allow this to steep for about 5 minutes or so; this also gives the mixture an opportunity to cool down before you drink it.
- Use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the mixture; an actual sieve or a piece of cheesecloth can be used for this. If the texture does not bother you, this stage can be skipped.
- Pour yourself a cup of the weed tea, sit back, relax and enjoy. Add some sugar or honey to taste or indulge yourself in a dollop of cream with cinnamon; Yum!
So, you now have two simple ways to enjoy some delicious weed tea.