12 July 2016

The Bend Bulletin report

The Oregon Liquor Control Commission has launched an online permit application system for workers employed in the state’s recreational marijuana industry.

The OLCC plans on issuing permits after Sept. 1. Anyone, including seasonal workers, working with recreational marijuana must obtain a permit, according to a news release issued Thursday. Employees working for a lab or research certificate holder do not need permits, according to the release.

The application is available online at www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana. Applicants must pass a test on the laws regarding marijuana, safe handling of marijuana and other topics. Applicants must be at least 21 years old to obtain a worker’s permit, which is good for five years.

The test is based on a Marijuana Education Course available at the OLCC website. The marijuana course is modeled after the OLCC Alcohol Server Permit program, according to the agency.




Licensing – Marijuana Worker Permit

Q:  Who needs to have a marijuana worker permit?

A:  All employees who perform work on behalf of an OLCC licensed producer, processor, wholesaler, or retailer, including the licensees working in a licensed business or managing information in CTS must possess a marijuana worker permit

 Q.  How do I apply for a permit?

A:  Go to http://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Pages/mjworkerpermit.aspx 

Q.  I work at a medical dispensary and we are selling recreational products, do I need a workers permit?

A:  No, only employees who work for an OLCC-licensed business need to have a marijuana worker permit.

Q.  How do I know if my criminal convictions will make me ineligible for a permit?

A.  Denial criteria is located in the OLCC rules, OAR 845-025-5540.

Q:   I completed a background check for the marijuana application, do I need another background check for the worker permit?

A:  Yes, a separate background check is required for the worker permit application.  This will be processed directly by our agency.  You will be contacted directly if additional information is needed or if the background check has successfully been completed 

Q.  I work as a trimmer, why do I need to learn about checking ID’s?

A.  All marijuana workers will take the same test, this will allow for you to change jobs within the industry if you so desire.

Q.  I am planning to work for a producer over the summer and go back to school in the fall, since I’m only working 3 months do I need a permit?

A.  Yes, all employees, even seasonal employees need a worker permit.