|U.S. HEMP ROUNDTABLE BOARD MEETS WITH U.S. SENATE MINORITY LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL AND OTHER LEADING MEMBERS OF CONGRESS DURING D.C. FLY-IN|
The Nation’s Hemp Advocacy Organization Coordinated A Full-Day Of Meetings On Capitol Hill To Advocate For FDA regulation Of CBD, SAFE Banking, And The Hemp Advancement Act
Washington D.C. — On Wednesday, April 6th the Board of Directors of the U.S. Hemp Roundtable conducted a “D.C. Fly-In” on Capitol Hill, meeting personally with U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), several members of Congress, and Congressional staff to advocate for the FDA regulation of CBD, SAFE Banking for hemp businesses, and the provisions within The Hemp Advancement Act.
Key highlights include —
- An exclusive meeting at the U.S. Capitol with Sen. Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to strategize on efforts to ensure that the FDA provides a regulatory pathway for hemp products such as CBD.
- Meetings with Sens. Hickenlooper (D-CO) and Rand Paul (R-KY) to encourage greater support for S. 1698, which would regulate CBD as a dietary supplement and food or beverage additive.
- A meeting with House Oversight Committee Ranking Member James Comer (R-KY) to discuss his committee’s interest in overseeing agencies with jurisdiction over hemp and CBD.
- A meeting with Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME) to discuss her bill, H.R. 6645, The Hemp Advancement Act of 2022, which would improve the 2018 Farm Bill’s hemp provisions and provide greater clarity and flexibility to hemp growers and processors, while protecting consumers from unsafe products.
- A meeting with Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR) on his efforts to pass H.R. 841, which would regulate CBD as a dietary supplement, and the push to hold a hearing in the Energy & Commerce committee on hemp and CBD.
- A meeting with Rep. Brett Guthrie (R-KY), Ranking Member of the Health Subcommittee of the House Energy & Commerce committee to discuss the progress on consideration of key bills, H.R. 841 and H.R. 6134, that would ensure FDA regulation of CBD products.
- A meeting with Rep. Andy Barr (R-KY), a member of the House Financial Services Committee, to discuss efforts to pass the SAFE Banking Act.
- Meetings with the staff of Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Rep. Tom O’Halleran (D-AZ), Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO), Rep. Gus Bilirakis (R-FL), Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-VA), and Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO).
- Virtual meetings this week with the staff of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Senate HELP Ranking Member Richard Burr (R-NC), House Agriculture Committee Vice Chair Alma Adams (D-NC), and House Energy & Commerce Committee Members Reps. Robin Kelly (D-IL), Mike Doyle (D-PA), Debbie Dingell (D-MI), and Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE).
“After a too long absence from in-person meetings, yesterday was a very welcome opportunity to sit down with some of our biggest supporters on Capitol Hill to discuss strategy, and to advocate to new friends for their support of hemp’s policy agenda,” stated U.S. Hemp Roundtable President, Pete Meachum. “I was very encouraged by the continued, bi-partisan support for hemp farmers and businesses, and look forward to continued policy progress in the months ahead.
“The hemp industry’s policy agenda is ambitious – from ensuring that the FDA regulates hemp products such as CBD to providing regulatory relief for our nation’s farmers,” said Jonathan Miller, General Counsel to the U.S. Hemp Roundtable. “It is so great to have so many strong friends on both sides of the aisle, including both the Senate Majority Leader and the Senate Republican Leader. Now it’s time to ensure that our bipartisan support is reflected in urgent policy change.”
Board and staff members of the U.S. Hemp Roundtable that attended the fly-in include —
- Paul Blair, Turning Point Brands
- Fred Cawthon, Verge Agritech
- Ed Conklin, Curaleaf Holdings
- Alyssa Erickson, U.S. Hemp Roundtable
- Kerry Hinkle, U.S. Hemp Roundtable
- Lawrence Hudson, Cronos Group
- Nolan Jackson, U.S. Hemp Roundtable
- Pete Meachum, Cronos Group
- Jonathan Miller, U.S. Hemp Roundtable General Counsel
- Foxhall Parker, Canopy Growth
- Robert Roche, Jr., Red Mesa Science and Refining
- Brooke Parker Robertson, U.S. Hemp Roundtable
- Jim Shorris, Curaleaf Holdings
- Eric Wang, Ecofibre
- Jason Warnock, JustCBD
- Katelyn Wiard, U.S. Hemp Roundtable
- Ben Witte, Recess