The cannabis plant has been cultivated since ancient times for its medicinal benefits. It comprises many chemical compounds, with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) being the two most abundant compounds. While THC is associated with its mind-altering effects, CBD is not. Therefore, CBD is flooding the markets and can be purchased from various stores or an online cbd shop because it helps provide a calming sensation and various health benefits without making you high.
CBD’s relationship with hemp and marijuana
Hemp and marijuana are the two primary species of the Cannabis sativa plant, and cannabis is usually used as an umbrella term for either hemp or marijuana. CBD is present in both species; however, the amount varies. Marijuana has high THC and moderate amounts of CBD, whereas hemp has high amounts of CBD and low THC amounts. It depends on the manufacturer to choose either cannabis species for CBD extraction with the final product containing the desired CBD percentage.
Benefits of CBD
CBD has a wide range of health benefits that include:
- Anxiety and depression relief – CBD can help treat anxiety and depression since it may change how your brain receptors respond to serotonin, a neurotransmitter regulating mood and social behaviour.
- Pain relief – CBD’s effect on brain receptors can also aid in pain relief. Studies have shown CBD to reduce inflammation, pain, and muscle soreness.
- Insomnia – Due to CBD’s calming effects and its anxiety and depression relief benefits, CBD may help with sleep disorders such as insomnia.
- Anti-seizure – Studies have shown CBD to have anti-seizure effects, which can be used as a possible treatment for epilepsy.
- Anti-acne – CBD helps reduce oil production and has anti-inflammatory effects on oil-producing glands, which can help treat acne.
- Helps quit smoking – If CBD is consumed in the form of CBD vape oil through a vaporizer, it can potentially help quit smoking because it produces a calming sensation like cigarettes. Moreover, CBD is non-addictive and is not associated with health risks from tobacco and nicotine.
Therefore, CBD may be a natural alternative form of treatment for many over the counter anti-inflammatory, pain relief, and anxiety medication because of its various health benefits.
Ways to consume CBD
CBD products can be purchased from supermarkets, pharmacies, retail stores, coffee shops, or online CBD shops. It can be purchased and consumed in a variety of different forms such as:
- Edibles like gummies, truffles, mints, chocolates, or brownies
- Oils or tinctures that are consumed sublingually, or in other words, they need to be placed under the tongue to be absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Topicals such as creams, balms, and lotions that are applied directly to the skin.
- Vape oils/juices that are consumed through a vaporizer by smoking and inhaling the product.
Is CBD safe?
CBD is safe to use if it is purchased from a reliable source like Penguin CBD. Since the CBD market is unregulated, tons of stores sell fake CBD products containing harmful contaminants such as heavy metals. Moreover, fake CBD products may contain more than 0.3% of THC, potentially causing psychoactive effects. Reliable CBD stores also have their CBD products tested from a third-party lab so that you can be sure of the purity and quality of your purchase.