Verano’s legal team is growing and we’re looking to add an Associate General Counsel (Corporate) to our Chicago Office. The Associate General Counsel is responsible for representing the company on corporate transactions and providing support and guidance on securities filings and corporate governance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides support for M&A transactions, financings, securities filings, contract review, corporate governance and other legal projects, as needed.
- Effectively conduct due diligence, negotiate deals for upcoming and pending corporate/commercial transactions and communicate with senior management in “plain English”..
- Will report to and support VP, Head of M&A.
- Represent or oversee the representation of the Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates in various legal matters, including overseeing and working with outside counsel, as required.
- Ensures compliance with Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE) rules and regulations.
- Partners with the VP of Investor Relations and provide legal guidance on external communications such as earnings releases, press releases, investor presentations and marketing materials, and the company’s website.
- Monitors and maintains awareness of pending regulations and developments that are relevant to the company’s business interests, particularly relating to corporate governance and public company matters.
Required Experience, Education, and Skills:
- 5+ years law firm and/or public company in-house experience working on M&A transactions, securities offerings and reporting and corporate governance matters.
- Strong verbal and written communication, research, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Highly motivated to learn and explore the legal intricacies of the cannabis space.
- Capable of leading multiple projects independently with expert project management skills.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making ability with the potential to become a trusted advisor to our business partners.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of confidentiality.
- Admitted to the bar in at least one state (preferably IL).
- 3+ year(s) working for a publicly traded company.
- Cannabis Industry experience is a plus.
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 10 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
Verano Holdings is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees, our markets and our communities.