Callout for Cannabis Control Board Members
Job Closing: Jul 21, 2021
In accordance with the Tribe’s Adult Use Cannabis Ordinance (“Ordinance”) enacted Ohiarí:ha/June 28, 2021 ; the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council is seeking two (2) persons to act as full members for the Cannabis Control Board (“CCB”) and two (2) qualified tribal members to act as alternates for the CCB. Successful candidates shall be appointed by Tribal Council Resolution to serve staggered terms.
Under the Ordinance, the duties and responsibilities of the CCB shall include, but not be limited to:
- Accept, review, approve, or disapprove cannabis license applications including those required under this Ordinance including, but not limited to, applications for cultivation, processing and retail store licenses;
- Adopt rules to impose and collect any fees or fines necessary to the regulation of cannabis including fees imposed under this Ordinance;
- Adopt cannabis regulations and rules after consultation with the CCO;
- Approve the issuance of cannabis orders recommended by the CCO under Tribal Ordinances, including this Ordinance, including but not limited to: orders to cease and desist, closures of facilities, suspension and revocation of licenses as necessary to protect public safety;
- Monitor the regulation of all activities of cannabis licensees; and
- Keep accurate records of all matters within the CCB’s duties.
Qualification for Members of the CCB shall be as follows:
- They must be at least twenty-five (25) years old (on date of appointment);
- They must possess good moral character and not have been convicted of a serious crime as defined in the Tribe’s Election and Referendum Ordinance, as amended;
- They must be willing to take, and must pass, a background check administered by the Tribe and/or Tribal Police;
- They must be willing and capable of maintaining communications through technology (email, texts, mobile phone) so as to be accessible to the Board;
- At least three (3) full members must be Tribal Members;
- At least three (3) full members must have knowledge and experience in any one of the following areas:
- business experience in the cannabis industry;
- specialized knowledge or education in a cannabis field (including but not limited to medicine, pharmacology; laboratory testing; agriculture, regulation or law);
- regulation of the cannabis industry; or
- public health and safety.
Qualifications for Alternates of the CCB shall be as follows:
- Alternate members must be tribal members and are not required to have any special qualifications.
No member of the CCB shall actively participate in, or be employed by a Registered Entity or any other entity or business that is subject to regulation under the Akwesasne Medical Marijuana Ordinance.
CCB Members and Alternates will be entitled to compensation set by Tribal Council. The amount of compensation is yet to be determined.
All qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest and current resume to Cathy Mitchell, Executive Assistant/Board Liaison, at email@example.com or in person/by mail to:
Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
Attention: Cathy Mitchell
71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way
Akwesasne, NY 13655
Deadline: Wednesday, July 21, 2021
To view the Adult Use Cannabis Ordinance, please visit the Tribe’s website at www.srmt-nsn.gov or the Tribal Clerk’s Office located on the first floor in the Ionkwakiohkwaróron Tribal Administration Building.