Materia’s vision is to be the enabler of global cannabis access. Materia is developing a robust manufacturing and distribution ecosystem to grow legal cannabis markets across North American and the European continent. With its expert, research driven team and state-of-the-art technology, Materia focuses on the high-margin downstream activities of processing, formulation and distribution into markets wherever there is a patient in need of cannabis medicine or CBD consumers seeking innovative new products.
Our combined best-in-class market and product knowledge enable us to supply the formulations and product portfolios that best address the needs of our patients and consumers. Government officials and healthcare providers around the world seek us because we deliver quality medical grade products and subject matter expertise at the highest levels of professional integrity.
Our passionate team of industry-leading professionals works in symphony with our partners. We align our own success metrics to theirs. And by committing to the relentless pursuit of knowledge and exceptional service, our relationships go far beyond transactions, maximizing value for every Materia stakeholder. We are currently seeking a lawyer to provide in-house legal counsel to support all aspects of the business.
What you will do:
- Provide proactive, pragmatic legal counsel across the company. Reporting into the VP, Legal and Corporate Strategy and working in collaboration with external legal counsel as required, you will work in partnership with other operational stakeholders both locally and across the globe to support and drive various initiatives to completion in a manner that also ensures compliance. You will advise on an array of legal matters including but not limited to transactions, commercial agreements, regulatory and compliance affairs.
- Act as a trusted legal advisor. As an expert in your field, you’ll be depended upon for your expertise and counsel concerning strategy, legal risks and opportunities, policies and practices. The VP, Legal and Corporate Strategy will rely on you to prepare and review commercial agreements including partner and vendor agreements, supply contracts, licensing deals, employment and contractor agreements, among others.
- Support business transactions. Working in alignment with relevant stakeholders, you will play a key role in all phases of business transactions, from their structure, through to their execution and everything in between.
- Maintain company records. You’ll play an integral key role in the management and maintenance of critical company records.
- Corporate Risk Management. You are always proactively identifying and evaluating areas that open the company up to risk, particularly as an employer. It will be incumbent upon you to ensure there are sufficient measures, systems and corporate policies in place to meet any pertinent legal and regulatory requirements, while also maintaining focus on optimizing the efficacy of the legal function.
- You are thorough. Any task you take on is performed meticulously, on time, and with great care. You understand and appreciate how critical the details are. You are reliable, punctual and above all else responsible.
- An exceptional collaborator. You confidently and impactfully engage with a range of internal and external stakeholders in a way that will lead to the best decision-making and results for the business.
- You are execution-focused. You inherently have the ability to identify a need and you feel best when you are able to take action. You have a keen focus on supporting the growth of the business and will go the extra mile when the business requires it in order to ensure its success.
- Have an interest in working in the cannabis industry. You are familiar with the Cannabis Act in Canada or have previous experience with regulatory frameworks. Your curiosity about the industry allows you to remain current with the regulatory framework, enabling you to counsel the business accordingly.
- Licensed to practice law in Canada, with experience in corporate and commercial law preferred.
Why Work With Us:
Our goal is to build recognizable and successful global cannabis brands. We are creative, we are collaborative, and we are hyper-focused on delivering products that are beloved by cannabis consumers. We offer a competitive salary of $100,000-110,000 CAD, access to group health & dental benefits and stock option package. We anticipate continued growth over the coming years, which will provide tremendous opportunity for you to carve out your own career path while growing with us.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our current opportunities but will only be in contact with those we feel meet our hiring needs at this time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that is reflective of Canadian society. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $100,000.00-$110,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Monday to Friday
- Temporarily due to COVID-19