$129,000–$184,000 a year
Full Job Description
The Department of Finance has the mandate to provide leadership and direction to the public service in all areas of finance and human resource management. This mandate includes negotiating major financial arrangements with the federal government, providing analysis and advice to the Financial Management Board, and ensuring that financial and information resources are managed effectively, efficiently and economically. This mandate also includes the recruitment and retention of a competent public service that is representative of the people it serves and the development of programs and services that effectively serve the human resource needs of the public service.
The Director, Liquor and Cannabis Operations is located in Hay River, NT and is responsible for the management, development, profitability and viability of liquor and cannabis operations in the Northwest Territories (NWT). The Northwest Territories Liquor and Cannabis Commission (NTLCC) operates as a self funded semiautonomous business unit with profit expectations. The position deals with two highly regulated products and is responsible for the maintenance and development of policies, legislation and regulations of these products and assumes profit and loss responsibilities for all facets of this business which include the NTLCC administration office in Hay River, seven contract operated retail stores, located in Hay River, Fort Smith, Yellowknife, Inuvik, Norman Wells and Fort Simpson, and one warehouse in Yellowknife.
Some of the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. required for the position are:
- Extensive knowledge of, and the ability to apply industry best practices in a complex retail environment;
- Extensive knowledge of regulations and legislation related to alcohol and cannabis;
- Effective written and communication skills, including the ability to maintain professional communication in difficult circumstances;
- Strong contract and project management skills;
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals;
- Effective negotiating skills and strategies in dealing with supplier and contractors is essential.
The skills, knowledge and abilities required are typically attained through a relevant Bachelor’s degree or professional designation combined with five years of management in a retail environment
Hay River HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
209 62 WOODLAND DRIVE
HAY RIVER, NT X0E 1G1
Tel (867) 875-8086
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.