$50 – $100 an hour
Work authorization (Required)
Full Job Description
Boutique corporate law firm based in Washington, DC, is seeking attorneys with 2-5 years of experience representing businesses in the cannabis industry.
This is a part-time position, paid by the hour. All work is done remotely. The workflow will likely be uneven and could be as low as 2-3 hours some weeks and 15-20 others. Over time, it could evolve into a full-time position, depending on workflow and preferences of the attorney and firm.
For applicants with existing cannabis clients, the firm offers connections with dozens of companies that provide payment, banking, and compliance solutions to the cannabis industry. The partner leading the firm’s Cannabis Practice is also the co-founder of the PBC Conference, which is the B2B conference for payments, banking, and compliance in the cannabis industry.
For attorneys without existing business, compensation ranges from $50/hour to $100/hour, depending on experience. Attorneys also receive compensation for bringing work into the firm.
For attorneys with significant existing business in the cannabis sector, the firm will discuss compensation arrangements on a case-by-case basis.
Successful applicants will have some or all of the following:
- Experience helping clients obtain medical and/or recreational cannabis licenses at the state level.
- Experience representing medical and/or recreational cannabis companies on a range of business legal matters.
- Experience preparing private placement memoranda under Reg D.
- Experience advising banks with on-boarding cannabis companies.
- Experience directing and implementing a compliance program for the banks so that they can on-board cannabis companies.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience with writing about legal developments in the cannabis sector on social media.
- A willingness to speak at conferences and regularly attend networking events.
The following are preferred, but not required:
- At least one year experience working as an associate at law firm with at least 100 attorneys and/or in a large in-house corporate legal department.
- Some amount of portable business in the cannabis sector.
Job Type: Contract
Pay: $50.00 – $100.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
Supplemental pay types:
- Commission pay
- How many hours a week are you available to work?
- This is a part-time position that pays by the hour and the hours could fluctuate significantly from week to week. Initially, there might only be 5-10 hours a week, sometimes less. As our practice grows, we anticipate the hours will increase. Will this work for you?
- In which states are you licensed to practice?
- This position will be paid on an hourly basis, depending on the applicant’s experience. What is an acceptable hourly rate for you?
- Have you worked at any law firms that had 50 or more attorneys? If so, which ones?
- Have you represented any clients in the cannabis sector?
- Do you have any existing clients in the cannabis sector?
- Bar (Required)
Work Location: Remote