Merida Capital Holdings – one of the largest PE cannabis firms in the US is registering with the SEC as an investment advisor and we are looking for a CCO/attorney with room to grow with the firm. We have the most professionals with 25 and over $500mm in AUM. We just launched our 4th Fund with a $250mm raise. Their duties include coordinating with company management to identify potential risks, implementing policies and procedures to uphold laws and regulations and monitoring the company’s adherence to those policies and procedures. You will run the entire compliance department and should be well versed in both FINRA and SEC marketing regulations. We are looking for an executive that is innovative, forward thinking, fast moving and can expand their understanding of the intersection between the PE and regulatory landscapes.
The position we are looking to fill:
- Develop internal company policies and see that they are respected.
- Report to management concerning the organization’s compliance with laws and regulations.
- Take action in dealing with noncompliance situations, creating realistic plans to overcome them.
- Identify potential weaknesses and noncompliance situations.
- Education, Training, and Promoting a Culture of Compliance: Develop, enhance, and deliver compliance-related training to all employees, including training specific to rules, regulations, standards, and resources, including required Annual Compliance Meeting, FINRA Firm Element, and continuing education as well as SEC rules and regs
- Policies and Procedures: Formulate, implement and update investment adviser compliance programs and initiatives
- Compliance Supervision, Testing, and Monitoring: Regular, annual, and ad-hoc testing and monitoring of policies and procedures of multiple departments and entities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations
- Compliance Administration (including Registration, Licensing and Employment): Manage the onboarding process of new employees, as well as ongoing support of regulatory-required disclosure of personal securities accounts and transactions, outside business activities, political contributions, and others
- Manage all aspects of marketing compliance
- Maintain the Legal & Compliance Regulatory Calendar and coordinate, update and file investment adviser registrations, disclosures and reports (such as Form ADV, Form D, Forms U4 and U5, Form 13F), and other related requirements
- Assist with third party vendor risk reviews, mitigation, and due diligence
- Audit and Regulatory Examinations: Be the point person in preparing for and executing responses to routine audits and examinations
- Execute appropriate practices for monitoring fund and adviser service providers including initial due diligence and oversight
- Prepare and update regulatory documents
- Liaise with outside counsel on new fund documentation
- Be central point of contact for compliance consultants, outside counsel and any parties related to compliance or legal issues
- Respond to all legal notices, including bankruptcies, subpoenas and other client matters
- Develop, maintain, administer and enhance/update the Firm’s Written Supervisory and Control Procedures and other policies and procedures relevant to its approved product lines.
- Maintain all Firm records in accordance with SEC’s record keeping and retention regulatory requirements.
- Initially, you will have no staff and will have to do all detail work yourself until such time as the firm grows and we can hire additional staff
· Experience with SEC examinations
· SEC and FINRA regulatory and compliance knowledge
· Direct experience with FINRA and SEC exams and advertising/marketing compliance
- Knowledge of regulatory landscape and ability to translate into actionable practices and operations
Nice to Have Qualifications:
- Knowledge of structuring term sheets and closing documents
- Fund and adviser compliance and operations
- JD preferred
Possible career advancement to CLO or GC
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 – $150,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
We are all working remotely at this time and do not have plans to return to the office in 2021. In 2022, we will most likely be in the office 1-2 days a week or maintain full remote working.
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- law degree (Required)
- Fully Remote