Kiva Confections (www.kivaconfections.com) is the premier cannabis-infused edibles company in California, the largest cannabis market in the world. Kiva’s line includes Kiva Chocolate Bars, Terra Bites, Petra Mints, and Camino Gummies. Our products are crafted from premium ingredients and skillfully combined with California cannabis. Since our beginning in 2010, our goal is to create confections that redefine what a cannabis confection ought to be. By applying art and science to ensure a deliciously consistent experience every time, we continue to deliver on that mission today.
We have aggressive growth plans as the legal market, and consumer adoption continues to expand. Key growth initiatives include bold platform innovation, best in class marketing, geographic expansion, strategic partnerships, and more. We are resourced for this explosive growth and looking for great people to help take us to the next level.
The Corporate Counsel will be an experienced generalist reporting directly to the General Counsel. This role provides, in a consultative approach, legal guidance to internal clients at various levels in the corporation, as well as deal negotiation on commercial transactions with third parties. The role will also require management of outside counsel. This person will interact with senior executives, including the CEO and CFO. You will be business savvy, be able to understand and recommend constructive solutions to complex issues, apply a results oriented approach to get things done, exhibit an ability to balance legal and business perspectives so as not to interfere with the flow of the business, have a proven track record in drafting and negotiating contracts with a firm understanding of the food space in general and the cannabis industry in particular. You will be expected to be embraced by their business counterparts as an indispensable part of their team.
As Kiva’s Corporate Counsel you will…
- Advising senior management and business partners on all aspects of commercial transactions.
- Negotiating and drafting deals relating to our core businesses, including cannabis distribution and multi-state licensing transactions.
- Intellectual curiosity to gain a deep understanding of cannabis regulations impacting the business and the ability to translate that understanding into actionable guidance for the business teams.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts-large and small.
- Advising product team on new products, and creating and revising applicable terms and conditions.
- Advising and assisting customer service team to resolve customer concerns.
- Managing company’s intellectual property portfolio and rights.
- Managing corporate governance, including drafting minutes, board resolutions as well as board and shareholder materials.
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials, website content and press releases to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Creating and implementing various corporate policies ranging from Social Media Marketing to BCC compliance training.
- Advising on product labeling guidelines, including FDA and CDPH guidelines.
- Advising on cannabis compliance matters in California as well as other states in which we operate.
- Advising on incentive compensation plans and employment law matters.
- Advising on intellectual property matters, including proactive cease and desist demands.
What we’re looking for…
- 3 to 5+ years of relevant legal experience;
- Prior experience as a company-side corporate lawyer at a law firm
- Prior in-house experience is preferred
- J.D. Degree from an top tier ABA accredited law school
- Member of the CA Bar in good standing.
- Experience in cannabis law, strongly preferred
- Experience in CPG industry, preferred
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in contract negotiations. Easygoing negotiating style is a must.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Comfortable working remotely, if required
- Ability to get things done quickly without sweating the small stuff
- Business savvy and customer-service oriented approach to facilitate achievement of business objectives.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also to accept direction from General Counsel.
- Collegial style, team player with excellent independent judgment.
- Superior contract drafting skills–understand the “power of the pen”.
Kiva Confections provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
DISCLOSURE TO JOB APPLICANTS PURSUANT TO THE CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (CCPA)
As part of your job application and the Company’s evaluation of your candidacy, the Company collects, receives, maintains, and uses the following types of Personal Information about you for the business purposes identified for each category:
Category: Personal Identifiers
Examples: Name, alias, postal or mailing address, email address, telephone number, social security number, driver’s license or state identification card number, passport number
- To comply with state and federal law and regulations requiring; employers to maintain certain records;
- To evaluate your job application and candidacy for employment;
- To obtain and verify background check and references; and
- To communicate with you regarding your candidacy for employment.
Category: Pre-Hire Information
Examples: Job application, resume, background check results, job interview notes, and candidate evaluation records
Business Purpose: Same as above
Category: Employment History
Examples: Information regarding prior job experience, positions held, names of prior supervisors, reference information, skills and when permitted by applicable law your salary history or expectations
Business Purpose: Same as above
Category: Education Information
Examples: Information from resumes regarding educational history; transcripts or records of degrees, vocational certifications, licenses obtained
Business Purpose: Same as above
If you become employed by the Company, the Company will notify you of additional categories of Personal Information that it collects, receives, and maintains for business purposes.