Weedmaps is the leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for a Corporate and Transactional Counsel to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll focus your efforts on a wide array of corporate and commercial matters, including securities, corporate governance, acquisitions, investments, and commercial transactions. And you’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The Impact You’ll Make:
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret commercial agreements (with a focus on SaaS and other technology agreements) with our vendors, partners, and customers.
- Provide tactical and strategic advice to Weedmaps business leaders on corporate finance and securities law matters, and manage corporate governance and administration for Weedmaps and its domestic and international subsidiaries, including preparing Board of Director materials and corporate resolutions, managing local filings, and administering corporate records.
- Assist in creating and improving processes, agreements, document templates and policies.
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and risks, company policies, and business strategy.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company and product team regarding new product offerings and functionalities in light of rapidly changing applicable laws.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
- Conduct research regarding legal and compliance issues affecting the Company’s businesses, translating complex laws and regulations into practical advice and solutions.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company on all matters relating to data privacy and security, including data of users, consumers, employees and third-parties, the negotiation and drafting of data privacy agreements, data privacy requirements for websites, social media, apps, connected products, e-commerce, customer relationship management and the Company’s various products and services, and all laws relating to data privacy and security in the various jurisdictions in which the Company operates, including the US, Canada and the EU.
What you’ve accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 5+ years of experience practicing corporate or transactional law.
- Minimum of 3+ years of corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, securities, or technology transactions experience working at or advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
- Knowledge of global privacy and consumer protection laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially those relevant for ad tech and Internet companies.
- Experience advising product teams in a technology company.
Your Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee outside counsel and internal attorneys, paralegals, business associates and other team members.
- Passion for startup-like environments and technology.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided while working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door during work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Denver, and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!