Corporate Counsel will be focused on the further expansion of Terrabis’ cannabis businesses through commercial transactions and regulatory compliance. The position is suited for an accomplished transaction-based attorney who can also stay up to date on cannabis regulations applicable to Terrabis.
From a commercial transaction perspective, this role will provide legal support for all of Terrabis’ existing medical and pending adult use cannabis businesses across three (3) U.S. markets. A successful candidate will (i) identify, evaluate, manage, and mitigate the company’s risk, (ii) be responsible for advising the Terrabis management team and (iii) coordinate with the Chief Legal Officer to negotiate, document, and close commercial contracts, intellectual property licensing agreements, and other strategic commercial transactions of the business.
From a regulatory compliance perspective, this individual will also be responsible for preparing required disclosures and reports for submission to regulatory agencies.
Our ideal candidate embraces working in a highly regulated environment, strives to eliminate ambiguity, and is invigorated by the prospect of paving the way in a new industry. They will have at least 3 years of demonstrated legal experience practicing in the fields of commercial transactions, regulatory law, and/or real estate.
- Draft and negotiate transactional documents such as vendor contracts, supply agreements, intellectual property agreements, brand licensing arrangements, marketing agreements, NDAs, and LOIs.
- Develop form documents and processes to increase in-house efficiencies.
- Manage and oversee compliance with all dates and deadlines in our commercial documents.
- Ensure commercial documents are consistent and protective of Terrabis.
- Coordinate with company’s Chief Legal Officer and operational business leads.
- Independently review, analyze, and keep current on developments in state and federal laws and regulations affecting the cannabis industry and Terrabis’ business, and provide business clients legal advice regarding those laws and regulations to ensure organizational compliance in each of Terrabis’ markets.
- Work directly with Terrabis’ board members, directors, officers, and others to prepare their principal officer applications, agent badge renewals, affiliations and other required reports, disclosures and filings as required by applicable cannabis regulations.
- Collaborate with the Chief Legal Officer to review and revise regulatory submissions, respond to regulator inquiries, and assist with other projects as needed.
- Advise on training, auditing, and monitoring activities applicable to the business and help ensure compliance with cannabis laws and regulations.
- Conduct or support regulatory compliance investigations as needed.
- Build good relationships with state regulatory officials and staff.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- 3+ years of general corporate and transactional legal experience with the ability to handle nuanced regulatory matters.
- Strong ability to grasp complex legal issues quickly, exhibit strong analytical problem solving and decision-making skills, exercise sound judgment, and provide practical legal advice.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate in a professional manner both internally and externally with regulators.
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking with strong negotiation and drafting skills.
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of governing bodies
- Must have, or be willing to quickly develop, a solid understanding of the Cannabis laws, rules and regulations and be passionate about further understanding the industry and the laws.
- Must pass all required background checks, including being approved by state badging agency to work in cannabis industry if required.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
- Some travel may be required, up to 10%
- Missouri resident
Terrabis is an equal opportunity employer.