Full Job Description
Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking an experienced lawyer to join our legal department as Counsel, Commercial Operations to play a key role on the team that is responsible for facilitating and driving all aspects of our business, from cultivation through extraction, manufacturing, distribution and sales. This position will report to the Senior Counsel, Head of Commercial Operations and will also work with the General Counsel and Legal leadership to effectuate our strategic mission to make Cresco Labs the most important company in cannabis.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the business-as-usual as well as business critical legal issues of a consumer packaged goods company. This role will be heavily involved in the day-to-day commercial contracting work of the company (both supply and demand side). In addition, this role will support and assist on commercial litigation, intellectual property (TM and patent), and privacy regulation compliance (CANSPAM, TCPA, HIPAA, CCPA, etc.). Additional job duties will include will include the full scope of support provided by the Commercial Operations division of the Legal Department and include, but are not limited to, marketing and ad-copy review, licensing and distribution agreements, and commercial insurance. This person will possess a strong business partner mindset and be able to deliver brilliant execution under tight deadlines and while managing several workstreams simultaneously. Experience with contract lifecycle management tools, particularly Ironclad as well as IP management software, particularly Clarivate, is desirable. Additional responsibilities will include stakeholder management, law firm management, regulatory compliance, and persuasive yet technical drafting.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Draft and negotiate various complex commercial agreements, including MSAs, MSaaS, IP licensing agreements, staffing agreements, distribution agreements, sales agreements, and purchase agreements
- Leveraging Cresco Labs’ contract lifecycle management tool, Ironclad, to automate legal processes and embed legal risk management into the tool to provide self-service functionality to the business
- Provide legal advice to the business in support of commercial contracting initiatives
- Manage our nationwide portfolio of commercial litigation including selection of outside counsel, setting and enforcing budgets, developing and effectuating cost-rationalized legal strategies and building proactive strategies to avoid disputes in future dealings\
- Partner with global cross-functional teams on various projects.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- JD required and active license to practice
- 3-5 years of commercial legal experience with a preference for candidates with previous in-house experience. Familiarity with state and federal privacy laws is preferred.
- Team player with the ability to proactively collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Ability to work independently to drive projects to completion
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think through critical information, make informed recommendations, and problem-solve
- Flexible, self-starting and hard-working
- Comfortable working independently in a fast-paced and changing environment, with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Desire to grow and be in a role that develops over time
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Ability to model Cresco’s Values: Stewardship, Ownership, and Leadership
Cresco Labs is proud to offer eligible employees a robust offering of benefits including, major medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(K)-match program, FSA/HSA programs, LTD/STD options, life insurance and AD&D. We also offer eligible employees paid holidays and paid time off. Other rewards may include annual discretionary bonuses, stock options as well as participation in our employee discount program. Benefits eligibility for permanent positions may vary by full-time or part-time roles, location, or position.
In accordance with CO Equal Pay for Equal Work Act the estimated range of compensation is $130,000 – $150,000 + bonus eligible. Final offer details are determined by multiple factors including but not limited to, geographic location, market compensation data, skills, experience and other relevant factors. For questions about this please discuss with your recruiter during the interview process.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.