Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking an experienced Counsel, Licensing and Regulatory to play a key role on the team that is responsible for obtaining and renewing the licenses and regulatory approvals needed to operate all aspects of our business, from cultivation through extraction, manufacturing, distribution and sales. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel, Licensing and Regulatory and will also work closely with the General Counsel and Legal leadership in an effort to implement and effectuate our strategic mission to have geographic footprint and freedom to operate to make Cresco Labs the most important company in cannabis.
The ideal candidate will have extensive hands-on experience in obtaining licenses from state-level regulatory agencies including but not limited to Departments of Agriculture and Departments of Health. This person will also have experience in dealing with public auction processes. This person will possess a strong business partner mindset and be able to deliver brilliant execution under tight deadlines and while managing several workstreams simultaneously. Many of the responsibilities will include stakeholder management, law firm management, regulatory compliance, and persuasive yet technical drafting.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Manage and maintain a portfolio of state-level licenses vital to strategic operations of Cresco Labs, encompassing both new applications as well as renewals.
- Selectively retain, manage and evaluate outside counsel to support our licensing and regulatory efforts across the full multi-state portfolio of operations
- Work with and supervise technical writers and licensing managers on the team involved in supporting our licensing and development initiatives
- Assist with the development and management of a library of clauses and templates which can be used to further streamline the license application process as the business continues to scale and grow
- Coordinate directly with regulators on questions and issues that may arise in the licensing process in order to drive results and policies that benefit both the Company as well as the cannabis industry as a whole
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- JD required
- Minimum 4+ years’ of experience of legal practice focused on regulatory issues
- Demonstrated experience in successfully obtaining licensing in highly regulated and complex operating environments
- Demonstrated ability to both work and drive projects independently as well as the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional groups to set objectives, drive progress, and produce meaningful results
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think through critical information, make informed recommendations, and problem-solve
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel, MS Office, and Adobe Suite required
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Excellent people and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work independently and successfully manage a high-volume workload with tight deadlines
- Ability to model Cresco’s Values: Stewardship, Ownership, and Leadership
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.