Weedmaps is a leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for an attorney to join our amazing Weedmaps Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll focus your efforts on a wide array of transactional matters including advising on SaaS and other technology contracts, drafting and negotiating agreements relating to the purchase, targeting, measurement and optimization of media across various channels (e.g., digital, mobile, social, and out-of-home), drafting and negotiating sponsorship deals, advising on contests, sweepstakes and promotions and working closely with our product, engineering, and marketing teams on new products, features, and initiatives. You’ll also be the lead attorney responsible for maintaining and enforcing our intellectual property portfolio. And you’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis. The right person for this role will have strong transactional skills and attention to detail, pragmatic problem-solving approaches and an understanding of the latest developments in internet advertising, data privacy and best practices for marketers. If you are someone who enjoys working at a fast-paced technology company on a variety of projects for different stakeholders, then this is a great role for you.
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret commercial agreements (with a focus on SaaS and other technology agreements) with our vendors, partners, and customers, including arrangements related to digital media, digital advertising, advertising agencies, ad tech, and marketing services.
- Conduct privacy assessments of business initiatives, including marketing programs, data partnerships and vendor relationships, and manage privacy compliance documentation and records.
- Review of advertising and communications materials to confirm compliance with applicable laws, Weedmaps policy, and brand requirements.
- Counsel brand and digital marketing teams on a variety of marketing and advertising compliance issues, including disclosure requirements, with an emphasis on Section 5 of the FTC Act, the FTC’s Native Advertising and Endorsement Guidelines.
- Counsel brand and digital marketing teams on a broad range of legal issues, including regulatory and compliance matters and use of third-party intellectual property, in the context of marketing, advertising, and promotions.
- Mitigate legal risks by providing reliable, thorough day-to-day legal support; devise creative solutions to meet business objectives, including innovative marketing campaigns on tight timelines, expansive use of social media influencer content, enhanced product functionality, IoT and cross-platform digital capabilities consistent with Weedmaps’ digital strategy.
- Manage Weedmaps portfolio of trademarks, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights worldwide, including asset registrations, licensing, and infringement issues; ensure that all Weedmaps assets are protected, and that Weedmaps’ policies and procedures related to other entities’ intellectual property are followed; and collaborate across the broader legal team to address IP issues in transactions, agreements and disputes.
- Assist in creating and improving processes, agreements, document templates and policies, including with respect to approved marketing assets, sweepstakes and contest rules and regulations.
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and risks, Weedmaps policies, and business strategy.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
- Adapt Weedmaps’ data privacy and security-related requirements to new and evolving regulations and technological advancements in websites, mobile apps, interest-based advertising, and the Internet of Things (IoT), with particular emphasis on Section 5 of the FTC Act, the California Consumer Privacy Act, and California Privacy Rights Act.
- Conduct research regarding legal and compliance issues affecting Weedmaps’ businesses, translating complex laws and regulations into practical advice and solutions, including by acting as subject matter expert for applying the cannabis regulations of your assigned jurisdictions to Weedmaps’ product portfolio.
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience practicing intellectual property, corporate or transactional law with no less than 3+ years of experience managing a company intellectual property portfolio.
- Minimum of 3+ years of technology transactions experience working at or advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the digital advertising ecosystem and advertising technology issues, media buying, IOs and other industry-specific legal needs, including an in-depth understanding of applicable federal and state marketing and advertising laws and regulations, and experience with advertising self-regulatory bodies.
- Ideal candidates will have experience in all aspects of advertising, marketing and promotions law, specifically with the rules and regulations regarding false advertising, digital media, social media, emerging media, advertising campaigns and sweepstakes. Experience reviewing advertising claims for substantiation is a plus.
- 100% employee covered Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits AND 80% dependent covered Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits: accident insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, life Insurance, critical illness insurance
- Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
- 11 company holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided while working in the office
- Monthly snack boxes sent straight to your doorstep as we work remotely
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Corporate events
- All the equipment that you need to get your work done
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Denver, New York, Phoenix and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!