Zuber Lawler, a highly selective 40-attorney law firm serving Fortune companies, funds, and government entities, as well as leading companies in emerging areas of industry and technology, including cannabis/hemp, Blockchain, and esports, is seeking an experienced self-motivated, hands-on law firm professional to manage all day-to-day operations of the law firm across is 6 offices in Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, and Silicon Valley. The ideal Director of Operations has 10 years of law firm operations management experience. Compensation is competitive and based on experience and performance.
The Director of Operations has broad responsibility for the day-to-day management of the operations of a firm that is: 1) experiencing the excitement and administrative pain of rapid expansion, and 2) unconventional in its pursuit of ancillary opportunities in emerging areas of industry and technology. Duties in this position include oversight and management of all support functions and staff, excluding (but working in collaboration with) the finance department. We’re not looking for a manager who wants to drive a car that already exists, but rather a proactive leader who’d like to build the car that they’re going to drive in the context of the firm’s vision statement. At the same times, given the nascent stage of the firm relative to its ambitions, this proactive leader must be one who likes to roll up her/his sleeves to do directly things that need to be done, and who teaches others by example that the words “that’s not my job” are not to be uttered within the firm. The position reports to the Managing Partner.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND OVERSIGHT
Internal Promotion of Firm Vision Statement
· The firm’s mission: Teach the World that Diversity is Better
· The means of achieving that mission over a period of decades: 1) Build a Law Firm of Talent that Is Both Diverse and the Best, 2) Collaborate Fully to Deliver Uniquely Exceptional Services to Clients, and 3) Adhere Always to the Highest Ethical Standards
Facilitate Productivity and Collaboration
· Persistent firm-wide usage of database to facilitate efficiency and collaboration, including without limitation as to: 1) properly filing documents in the firm’s document management system, 2) use of templates and forms properly stored in the firm’s document management system, and 3) proper usage of the firm’s contact database for serving current clients and marketing to new ones.
· Facilitation of collaboration between professionals across offices.
· Promotion of teamwork and inclusion.
· Promoting a culture of education (e.g.: regular CLEs, regular seminars on new technologies and other topics, mentorship programs, training)
· Promoting an ever increasing sense of community as the firm continues to grow. (e.g.: social activities, a quarterly newsletter, etc.)
Operations Management & Systems Development
· Memorialization, training, and enforcement as to policies and procedures, including without limitation as to: 1) billable hour targets and daily (ideally) or weekly (at the least) recordation of hours, and 2) building, promoting, and enforcing written procedures.
· Act as primary contact between the Firm, the Los Angeles landlord, subtenants and vendors.
· Review and negotiate all vendor contracts and recommend improvements and enhancements.
· Work with the firm’s Managing Partner and Real Estate attorneys to negotiate and renew leases.
· Plan office space mapping and renovations for anticipated firm personnel growth.
· Oversee construction projects, contractors, and purchases and installation of furnishings.
· Coordinate maintenance of facilities, furnishings, and equipment including office moves.
· Maintain updated emergency protocols and plans.
· Serve as primary contact point with LA building for fire safety, evacuation, and emergencies.
· Organize and train office emergency teams.
· Maintain and update Firm’s Business Resumption Plan as needed.
· Oversee installation and maintenance of security system and all building access keys.
· Inform local firm members of building developments (e.g. window cleaning, road closures, etc.
· Coordinate with Marketing to inform firm of relevant building social functions.
Administrative Duties & Office Services Oversight
· Coordinate with insurance broker(s) to renew applicable commercial insurance coverage.
· Handle professional organization membership renewals for the firm.
· Maintain the firm’s MCLE Multiple Activity Provider status.
· Oversee the maintenance of firm’s CLE calendar and attorney CLE involvement.
· Ensure full integrity of each subscription and the on-line catalogue database.
· Maintain office supplies vendor relationship.
· Assure employees have needed tools to perform their duties and oversee a coordinator to:
o Purchase office supplies and ensure supply needs are met across offices.
o Arrange for the purchase of approved office equipment for all offices.
o Order and distribute business cards.
o Coordinate maintenance and repairs in the building.
o Coordinate maintenance of physical facilities, furnishings, storage, equipment & office moves.
o Ensure visitors and guests are entered into building security.
· Design the Firm’s Information Technology (IT) systems to maximize efficiency.
· Work with vendors to implement and maintain the Firm’s IT infrastructure.
· Coordinate resolution of IT issues, onsite troubleshooting, and vendor support escalation.
· Train staff on all systems and enforce compliance with the Firm’s policies & procedures.
Human Resources Collaboration
· Systemize processes (e.g. onboarding training) for new hires across positions and offices.
· Implement and enforce the Firm’s personnel rules and employment policies.
· Evaluate staff and make recommendations to the MP & MC regarding work assignments, salaries, bonuses, and performance improvement.
· Facilitate cross-training and desk coverage among support staff.
· Review timesheets and overtime requests along with relevant Managers.
· Oversee employee relations and resolution of employee concerns.
· Organize consistent and developmental staff meetings.
· Administer any workplace injury investigations and documentation.
· Coordinate with recruiting and administration on both new hires and departures, including management of files received or released by the firm.
· Provide employee counseling and deliver performance feedback with HR Manager and partners.
Business & Financial Responsibilities
· Collaborate with Firm’s Controller and accounting staff as needed.
· Assist with annual operating budget for assigned departments and provide analysis and reports.
· Responsible for reviewing and approving all office operations expenses.
· Analyze office supply expenditures (firm-wide) and recommend alternatives.
· Facilitate timely attorney time entry and return of pre-bills plus pursuit of outstanding A/R.
· Ensure Office Services, IT, and Marketing operate in an efficient, customer-oriented and cost-conscious manner.
· Collaborate with the MP and MC on the Firm’s Business and Marketing Plans, and advise on how to grow the Firm’s top-line revenue.
· Travel to each of the offices (at least once a year) to maintain strong relations.
· Be attuned to firm’s online presence and brand (website, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, diversity, etc.).
· Work with employees regarding ergonomic issues and concerns.
· Assist Administrative Team with special projects as they arise.
· Perform other duties as assigned by Managing Partner.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
· Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field
· Minimum of 10 years of law firm operations management experience
· Knowledge of legal or other professional service organizations
· Technical experience including building and managing databases
· Knowledge of commercial interior construction and project management.
· Familiarity with platforms such as iManage, ProLaw, Zoom, Office 365 and Microsoft Suite
· Proficiency with databases such as LegalKey, CMSOpen, Lexis and Westlaw is a plus
· Professional certifications like the Certified Legal Manager (CLM) designation is preferred
· Discretion and confidentiality
· Attention to detail and organization
· Flexibility and adaptability
· Proactivity and ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities
· High level interpersonal and communication skills
· Positive and energetic with the ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
Position will require working hours in excess of 40 per week in order to meet deadlines or fulfill responsibilities. Works in a typical office setting. Ability to travel (via airplane, car or train, as appropriate) is required to offices throughout the Firm and other necessary business locations. Minimal lifting up to 25 lbs. Position is ideally based in Downtown Los Angeles, but may be located in any of the firm’s offices.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $120,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
- Associate (Required)
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place