Full Job Description
As the leading cannabis multi-state operator (MSO), AYR Wellness is on a journey to be a force for good; and it all starts with our belief in the power and potential of the plant.
We believe in creating an environment in which we can all flourish, one where every individual can find their genius and pursue their passion, because it’s this dedication to creating a culture of excellence, one where we’re all empowered to achieve our dreams, that will propel us forward. We’re a company that puts our people first. A place where talent is rewarded, diversity is celebrated, and innovative thinking is championed and we believe that together we can build a better and brighter future for ourselves, our industry, and our world.
Join us as we create wonder together.
The General Counsel serves as the senior legal officer at Ayr Wellness. The GC is responsible for overall management of the legal function and advising on compliance with state laws and regulations, drafting and reviewing contracts, overseeing litigation, supporting with employment related legal issues, and general oversight of IP issues. In addition, the GC will assist in building out a legal department consistent with the growth of the company and coordinating with other departments that overlap with legal, especially Compliance and Human Resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing overall leadership and direction for all legal matters and supporting Ayr’ functions and business through the delivery of legal support and guidance.
- Supervision of all outside law firms. Responsible for retaining and overseeing outside counsel for major transactions, financings, and intellectual property matters.
- Responsible for advising, drafting and review of contracts.
- Advises on Compliance with Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, especially regarding cannabis, ethics, public company trading and reporting. Provides general legal advice and guidance to Operations
- Assist Human Resource and Compliance in carrying out their functions. Participating in the resolution of labor and employment issues and issues of environmental/health/safety and other regulatory matters as they arise.
- Oversee litigation and potential litigation with an emphasis on avoiding lawsuits and managing risk
- Work with Corporate Officers and Communications Group to ensure protection of Ayr’s IP and compliance with IP law and obligations
- Juris Doctorate with admission to practice in US or Canada
- The successful candidate will have at least 8 years of progressive legal in-house experience managing a legal division or department in a complex, dynamic and fast paced consumer industry.
- Experience in retail or consumer business is preferable. Experience in non-retail or consumer best-in-class company is beneficial.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Unquestionable integrity, ethics, and judgment.
- Excellent communication, relationship building and influencing skills. The ability to be collaborative, drive progress, help the organization evaluate ideas from a legal and operations perspective, and keep the organization focused on its goals.
- The ability to represent the whole company with internal and external audiences, consistent with the organization’s values.
- Ability to help the company take appropriate business risks.
- Ability to anticipate, recognize and assess relevance of issues before escalating to major issues.
- Effective crisis manager who can apply mature judgment in the face of well-mobilized external stakeholders and critics.
- Able to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- A natural leader with proven abilities across a broad range of internal and external constituencies.
- A team player with a high level of self and cross-cultural awareness. Demonstrated track record of building strong and enduring relationships and teams.
- Authentic, confident, and assertive.
- The ability to influence and inspire through, around and with people in a fast-growing, dynamic organization.
- Initially no direct reports but charged with building the legal department over time.