Full Job Description
The role of the General Counsel will be to handle a wide range of legal responsibilities assigned and supervised by the CEO and executives of the company. We are seeking a well-rounded, self-starting and dedicated individual with high ethical standards that has the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. The General Counsel will actively collaborate with the legal team on each project integral to the growth and success of the company.
They’ll also handle certain statutory filings, like licensing forms, and must use their advanced knowledge and skill set to advise executives on how to handle these legal issues. General Counsels may also create new entities and are in charge of properly managing the company’s intellectual properties.
They’re trusted with certain legal documents and private company information and must safely store and apply this information to help them make wise legal decisions for the company.
Essential Job Function:
- Laws are constantly changing, and a General Counsel needs to remain informed of all the latest changes on the federal, state, city and county measures that could impact the operation of the business.
- Negotiation skills to charge of the response, from formulating a strategy to going to the courthouse to argue a case.
- Identify and analyze legal issues and present clear recommendations to the CEO and executive team; the Position will report to the CEO, but will be expected to develop independent communication and relationships with the management team on a project level.
- Participates in the development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides counsel and guidance upon key legal matters.
- Builds, structures and manages the company’s internal legal function and staff.
- Collaborates with the company’s accounting and finance departments to manage regulatory affairs, corporate governance and risk management initiatives.
- Responsible for ensuring that the company conducts its business operations in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Draft and negotiate commercial lease agreements, redevelopment, and financial agreements.
- Expert communication skills to ensure all litigation information and instruction to staff are clear and effectively ensure the desired outcome.
- Negotiate, draft and review loan documents from the perspective of the borrower, and manage commercial loan transactions from inception, through due diligence, to closing.
- Responsible for all aspects of contract review, development and approval and ensure contracts are efficiently developed and utilized.
- At the direction and instruction of the CEO, ensure that all contracts entered meet sound business practices, statutory requirements and internal guidelines and procedures.
- Ensure consistency of contract terms with company policies and goals.
- Expedite and review contracts from company’s suppliers, customers and third parties.
- Adapts contract templates and existing agreements to changes in regulations, laws, and client practices relating to services and professional agreements.
- Represents client departments in third-party negotiation teleconferences and in-person meetings.
- Facilitates improvement of internal legal systems and processes.
- Develop, assess and negotiate non-disclosure, consulting, service and logistics agreements.
- Reduce company’s contract risk and assist the President and CEO in developing contract strategies and best practices to enhance contract review processes.
- Compliance: ensure regulatory compliance for the company and all products of the company.
- Support the investigation and response to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other inquiries.
- Adapt to changing demands and shifting priorities, always with a view to delivering first-rate legal advice and services
- Legal research needed by company
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess a Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school and must be licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan.
- 6+ years of experience with corporate law firm experience or strong corporate background with six or more years of significant transactional experience required, including general corporate matters. Experience with a highly regulated industry strongly preferred.
- Have an understanding of cannabis laws and regulations in the state of Michigan.
- Skilled in the use of computers and Microsoft Office
- Proficient in research and writing
- Focus on timeliness and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and establish priority of work.
- Must have strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to understand items or activities that require timely follow-up and communication.
- Must have good written and oral communication skills and the ability to interface with all levels at the site.
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- Doctorate (Preferred)
- General Counsel: 5 years (Preferred)
- Cannabis Law: 1 year (Preferred)
- Juris Doctorate Degree (Required)
Work Location: Multiple Locations