Organization and Role Background:
The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Research indicates that psychedelics have the potential to be a breakthrough in treating PTSD, depression, addiction, and other conditions.
MAPS has worked for over 35 years toward paving the way for education and legalization of such breakthrough medicines. MAPS is committed to bringing these healing modalities to the world and providing them in such a way that communities that most need mental health resources have access to them. This shift has the potential to unlock previously unavailable resources for the investigation of psychedelic-assisted treatments applied to our most critical mental health challenges.
The MAPS Corporate Counsel will act as leadership for legal across MAPS and its subsidiaries and is responsible for leading legal initiatives to mitigate risk, ensuring compliance and expanding opportunities. This position requires strong analytical abilities and attention to detail, as well as advanced communication skills. The person in this role must possess the ability to present complex legal information in a coherent manner to collaborators without a legal background, as well as a knack for meeting tight deadlines.
Why Work For MAPS?
At MAPS, we value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome applicants who thrive in a growing organization that values science, justice, and healing.
We believe in diversity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, educational backgrounds, arrest or conviction record, military and veteran status, religions, abilities, and perspectives. MAPS values and seeks applicants who are people of color, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid. MAPS strives to continually improve upon the supportive, equitable, and accessible work environment.
MAPS is a dispersed workforce that offers full-time employment in a remote work environment. We are committed to conscious leadership and an inclusive team dynamic. Our culture is one of mutual respect, responsibility, and trust. Our employees’ health and happiness are priorities, and we treat our staff like people, not numbers on a spreadsheet.
MAPS is at the forefront of changing the way mental health issues are treated and is committed to bringing dignity and access to overcoming mental health challenges through the conscious use of psychedelics. We believe we are changing the world, and we want you to be a part of it.
Learn more about MAPS:
- TED Talk by MAPS Founder Rick Doblin, Ph.D., on the future of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy
- Tim Ferriss Podcast interview with MAPS Founder, Rick Doblin, Ph.D.
- Capstone Campaign
- MAPS website
- MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MAPS PBC)
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and JD required
- Excellent written and verbal communication, proofreading, and contract negotiation skills
- Experienced in managing the legal needs of a large organization
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills required. Ability to read and interpret contracts and other types of legal documents
- Strategic mindset, ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Emotionally intelligent team player
- Non-profit and tax law experience a plus
- Pharmaceutical or cannabis industry experience a plus
- Communicate and collaborate with key players including internal staff and external professionals (ex. outside counsel)
- Manage contract process throughout the organization
- Review and interpret templated vendor contracts, non-disclosure agreements, data processing agreements, fiscal sponsorship agreements, and other legal compliance documents. Escalate relevant issues as necessary
- Lead the development, revision, and/or implementation of a contract management system, compliance policies, and best practice/ procedures
- Advise executive members on new laws, existing laws, and legal rights and obligations that would impact functionality of the business
- Facilitate filings of licensing forms and other statutory requirements
- Research and analyze matters related to existing and new applicable regulatory requirements including but not limited to GDPR, HIPAA, FDA, Stark and other governmental regulatory compliance matters
- Maintain knowledge of the company’s legal documents
- Assist with documentation for fundraising efforts
- Assist in patent business and legal strategies
- Assist the organization in preparation for commercialization of a pharmaceutical product
- Regulatory (federal or state)
- Non-profit organizations
- Governmental affairs
- Department design
- Not required: Patents and “soft” IP
- Legal software selection and implementation
Compensation and Hours
- This is a 40-hour per week exempt position
- Compensation: XXXXX depending on education and experience
- Employer Sponsored health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- FSA contributions
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Retirement contributions
Location and Logistics
- This is a remote position that will require you to have a suitable workspace with secure internet and reliable phone reception. This position requires frequent phone and internet meetings. Certain home office expenses may be reimbursed. A work computer will be provided.
- We are a West Coast-based company and applicants must be available during standard business hours (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday). The exact schedule may be arranged upon hire. Occasional weekend hours may be required with advance arrangement and travel a few times per year may also be required.