Vicente Sederberg is the Marijuana Law Firm – Shaping the Laws, Connecting the Players and Building an Industry. The attorneys specialize in marijuana law and policy development and share expertise with all stakeholders in this new, ever-changing regulatory environment. They advise businesses in new opportunities, state applications, licenses, corporate formation & restructuring, employment contracts, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, commercial real estate, dispute resolution, with a specialization in compliance. For businesses and individuals, they offer criminal, civil and administrative representation. The firm serves local, state, federal and foreign governments in drafting legislation and regulations. Vicente Sederberg is looking for an exceptional Land Use Attorney who will be based in our New York and New Jersey offices. This position is a unique chance to get ahead of the curve and become an expert in cannabis law by working with a top mission-driven industry law firm.
The Land Use Attorney is responsible for managing client cases advising clients on land use, permitting and zoning matters. This position will also maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry laws and regulations, perform legal research, and provide updates to and regularly consult with Senior Associate(s) and Partners.
Vicente Sederberg offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance coverages 100% paid for by Vicente Sederberg for all of our full-time employees and their dependents. Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance coverages paid 100% for all of our full-time employees. We also offer a 401k with 4% company match, paid time off, and paid parental leave.
Responsibilities of our Land Use Associate include but are not limited to:
- Understand relevant land use laws and regulations and present on behalf of clients to municipal bodies.
- Must be able to attend municipal hearings across New Jersey.
- Maintain familiarity with zoning boards, public hearings, and ordinances.
- Prepare correspondence, memoranda, real estate, and permitting documents.
- Preparation of commercial contracts.
- Advise clients on zoning, permitting, and land use matters.
- Review and analysis of title reports, leases, deeds and real estate documents.
- Focus on various issues involving federal, state, and local cannabis laws and implementing regulations.
- Advise cannabis businesses to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements for cultivating, processing, testing, transferring, marketing, and selling cannabis products, including advising businesses with respect to the intersection of federal, state, and local laws.
- Monitor changes to regulations and ordinances applicable to the cannabis industry.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of rapidly evolving state and local cannabis laws in New York and New Jersey and updating team members on relevant developments in laws.
- Provide practical legal advice and support on business matters in a fast-paced environment.
- Act as a liaison with government regulatory bodies and administrative agencies on behalf of clients regarding product issues, inspections, and inquiries.
- Participate in rule-making processes, including drafting comments to regulators.
- Answer complex compliance questions incorporating nuanced areas of state, local, and federal law and providing insight on enforcement and policy trends.
- Advise and consult with all levels of the organization including senior leadership to identify critical legal issues, assess potential legal options, and provide individuals and teams with an analysis and range of possible legal solutions.
- Contribute to the firm’s success by continuously improving client relations, profitability, productivity, and the collective expertise in cannabis law and the industry that defines VS.
- Juris Doctorate required.
- Licensed attorney in New Jersey required. Additional licensure in New York and/or Pennsylvania a bonus.
- 2-4 years of experience practicing law with a focus on municipal, land use, or administrative law..
- Must have attended and presented at a minimum of 15 municipal or administrative hearings.
- Must be able to work from our NJ or NY office for some part of the week in the future.
- Familiarity with New Jersey cannabis regulations preferred.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with clients, the public, and individuals at all levels of the organization in a positive, collaborative manner.
- Passion for providing unparalleled client service.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, NetDocs, Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw, DocuSign, and Clio preferred.
- Exceptional organization skills and strong self-motivator with high attention to detail.
- Excellent time and deadline management skills in fast-paced environment and the ability to juggle multiple projects and reprioritize quickly and efficiently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to uphold highest standards of discretion and confidentiality and exercise good judgment on day-to-day decisions.
Qualified applicants please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to be considered.
Vicente Sederberg is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Bonus pay
Remote until further notice.
- Doctorate (Preferred)
- municipal land or administrative law: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bar in New Jersey (Preferred)
- One location
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative — innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
Company’s Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19