Wednesday, January 27, 2021
The Ontario Cannabis Store provides safe, responsible access to recreational cannabis for adults 19 and older. We operate the sole legal online store for recreational cannabis in Ontario and we are the provincial wholesaler of cannabis for private retail stores.
Working at the OCS is a unique opportunity to be part of an agile start-up in a ground-breaking new industry. We’re a diverse team passionate about delivering a great customer experience, working together with mutual respect and building value out of our differences. We’re an inclusive organization that understands that delivering great results comes out of ensuring every voice is heard.
About the Role
We are looking for a Legal Counsel to join our team. As key member of our legal team, you will support collaboration across multiple business groups and practice areas providing timely and results-oriented legal advice and services. Working closely with our General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, you will support the execution of legal strategy and influence overall business strategy by contributing your legal expertise.
About Your Day
- Prepare and review legal documents, including contracts, approvals, authorizations, memoranda of understanding, letters of intent, non-disclosure agreements.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of effective commercial and contract management strategies, processes and controls.
- Work closely with the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary on governance matters, including the preparation of board and sub-committee meeting agendas, resolutions and minutes, and assist in the preparation of all related material.
- Provide advice primarily related to commercial law, but also in the areas of information technology, promotions and advertising, labour and employment, and public procurement.
- Provide legal interpretation and advice on cannabis and other applicable legislation.
- Prepare and review briefing notes, reports and correspondence.
- Liaise with lawyers from government and government agencies from Ontario and other jurisdictions, external legal counsel and lawyers practicing in the cannabis industry.
- Develop and deliver presentations on current legal issues to internal OCS groups.
- Participate in OCS projects or committees where legal advice may be required, including policy development and procedural matters.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a leading law firm or an established in-house legal department (including at other provincial agencies or the Province of Ontario); experience in the cannabis industry would be an asset but is not necessary.
- Strong commercial law background and demonstrable experience in the drafting and negotiation of a variety of commercial agreements.
- Ability to provide clear and practical advice to senior management.
- Excellent judgement and keen sensitivity to legal and political issues.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and communication (both oral and written) skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
About the Job
- City: Toronto, ON
- Employment Type: Contract Full Time – 12 Months
- Required Travel: Rarely within GTA.
- Application Deadline: February 3, 2021
We are committed to providing an accessible, equitable and inclusive candidate and employee experience. We provide reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment process and in employment. If you require an accommodation please let us know, we will work with you to meet your needs.
- Pay Type