Full Job Description
Harborside is a global leader in the medical cannabis movement and represents the cutting-edge of innovation in our industry. Our employees are valuable to us – we offer a highly competitive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, FSAs, commuter benefits, EAP and 401k. We’re currently seeking a compassionate, friendly and organized professional to join our team in OAKLAND, CA.
MERGERS AND AQUISITIONS ATTORNEY
Supports all aspects of mergers and acquisitions transactions, including drafting and reviewing contracts, permits, memorandums, transaction agreements, and other legal documentation. Ensures legal compliance throughout the merger or acquisition transaction.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assesses the state of each company seeking to enter the transaction to ensure both are in decent financial standing and have all requisite corporate records in place; Creates due diligence checklists for other companies and coordinates due diligence checklist on behalf of Harborside.
- As requests are made and different phases of the deal take place, apprises about activity, helps with weighing options, and works to implement any necessary changes.
- Serves as the central point of contact for transactions. Reviews and approves virtually every aspect of the deal, serving as an intermediary between all parties.
- Responsible for structuring, drafting and/or negotiating transaction documentation, such as term sheets, contracts, opinions, letters, registrations, transaction agreements, and government applications.
- Advises General Counsel on strategic M&A transactions, including leading diligence, negotiations, and closings of transactions.
- Collaborates and works closely with various business units and manages internal and external deal processes.
- Manages the Company’s periodic securities filings, including quarterly, annual, and current reports and proxy statements.
- In collaboration with internal finance team, develops detailed financial models and valuation analyses for all potential transactions and provides input into the preparation of technical reports for the General Counsel that effectively communicate all review findings.
- Reviews and contributes to public facing materials including press releases.
- Stays informed on current and developing legislation governing mergers and acquisitions within the business’s jurisdiction, ensuring that all the business’s M&A initiatives are within the confines of the law.
- Assists with the appropriate financing for mergers and acquisitions and provides advice concerning negotiations.
- Builds a transaction “road map” for Harborside from start to finish including a projected timeframe.
- Determines in collaboration with tax attorneys, the tax implications and if they require special structuring.
- Works with antitrust attorneys to assess regulatory obstacles, gain regulatory approval and analyze any other required regulatory approvals.
• Knowledgeable about Federal and California State law. Must also have a working knowledge of tax law, employment and labor laws, environmental law, antitrust, intellectual property, corporate finance, and commercial law, among other areas. Experience with Canadian securities laws a strong plus.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, including ability to work collaboratively and effectively with business clients and other legal department members.
• Excellent analytical and negotiating skills.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, with ability to be flexible and adapt to frequently changing workload and responsibilities.
• Acute attention to detail. Ability to multi-task.
• Strong project management skills, well organized, with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
• Must have initiative, be able to act decisively, work independently and exercise good judgment.
- Work is generally performed seated and requires some bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Work is generally performed in an office type setting, in a farm setting, or over the phone.
- Lifting to 20 pounds.
- Some travel required.
Education and Experience Required:
• JD from accredited law school with excellent academics.
• Licensed to practice in the State of California.
• At least 4 years’ relevant experience at a top law firm.