A new study by Written by:Dwight K. Blake and originally published by
Should you consider CBD for pain relief? Studies upon studies on CBD’s effectiveness against pain relief has been put on the tables. Even though most of them came up with positive results, there still are a few studies that concluded otherwise, claiming that studies still ARE NOT enough.
In this study, AmericanMarijuana look at 1,453 Americans that use CBD for pain relief to see how well it performed compared to opioid. Specifically, we’ll look at its effectiveness, advantages, potential downsides, and practitioner’s perception towards the application of CBD for pain relief.
How is CBD Used in Pain Management?
- 60% of CBD consumers use it to treat Chronic pain, followed by Migraine pain (34%), Arthritis pain (28%), and Cancer treatment pain (3%).
- Smoking/Vaping is the most common CBD administration method with 41%, followed by Topical (32%), Tincture/Oil (31%), Edibles (27%), Capsules (26%), Sublingual (9%).
- 55% of participants don’t use THC for pain relief.
CBD Efficiency in Pain Relief
- 53% CBD consumers use it as their ONLY pain relief medication.
- 32% don’t feel any tolerance to CBD despite long-time consumption.
- 44% NEVER experience any side effects.
CBD vs Opioids
Among 259 participants who regularly used opioids before CBD:
Opioids Usage Changes after Using CBD
97% use fewer opioids after using CBD. Among them:
- 15% entirely quit opioids to use ONLY CBD for pain relief.
- 70% has tried other medications to replace opioids but ending up rely mostly on CBD to treat pain.
Opioids Withdrawal Symptoms after Using CBD
They ended/eased before using CBD
They eased, but it has nothing to do with CBD use
They eased. Thanks to CBD
They didn’t ease after CBD use
Didn’t have any opioid withdrawal symptoms
- 73% said that their opioid withdrawal symptoms eased after they used CBD. Half of them believe it thanks to CBD effects.
- Only 3% didn’t see opioids withdrawal symptoms relieved after using CBD.
Can CBD Replace Opioids?
- 84% believe CBD can replace opioid.
The biggest advantage of CBD compared to opioids
The two biggest advantages of CBD compared to opioids are:
- CBD has fewer/less dangerous side effects (36%).
- CBD is not addictive (35%).
Perception of Practitioners on CBD for Pain Relief
- 44% of CBD consumers’ practitioner support using CBD for pain relief while only 9% are against it.
- Surprisingly, 31% of CBD consumers don’t tell their practitioners about their CBD use for pain.
We launched the survey on MTurk. To make sure the participants are U.S weed smokers, we do two things:
- Set qualifications to ensure that participants are located only in the U.S.
- Set a qualifying question at the beginning of the survey. In this case, the qualifying question is “Do you use CBD for pain relief?”, those who answered “No” will be disqualified and can not complete the survey.
Because the survey relies on self-reporting, issues such as telescoping and exaggeration can influence responses. Please also be advised that this survey’s results do not reflect our opinions.