Location Address: Remote (preference for Vancouver or Toronto)
Numinus envisions a world where all people are empowered to discover healing and wellness. That’s why we’re creating solutions to develop and deliver cutting-edge mental health solutions including psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy with a view to transforming the mental health landscape.
Since our public listing in May 2020, we have been creating the building blocks to the foundation of our company with the goal of providing access to safe, evidence-based use of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies. These building blocks include:
- Raising a total of $27.5M during 2020
- Acquired MindSpace, a full service well-being organization who is pioneering psychedelic programming, with 3 operating clinics in Montreal
- Collaboration with MAPS Public Benefit Corporation to seek approval to deliver MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD through a single arm open label trial
- Collaboration with Syreon to undertake a compassionate access clinical trial of psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy for substance use disorders
- Becoming the 1st Canadian public company to legally harvest Psilocybe Mushrooms
Numinus is seeking a vision and mission aligned legal practitioner to join the team as General Counsel, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, to actively shepherd the company as it grows rapidly, organically and through acquisition; regularly accessing capital markets and ensuring regulatory compliance for multiple jurisdictions.
- Manage and advise on corporate governance, commercial and corporate transactions, capital raises, general transaction support, data privacy and healthcare regulatory compliance, intellectual property protection, employment law, real estate law, and general risk management
- Establish a general counsel function to facilitate achievement of Numinus’ business goals
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel, as needed
- Ensure compliance with regulations of securities commissions and exchanges in Canada and the U.S.
- Draft, and review a wide variety of agreements including strategic partnership and collaboration agreements, service agreements and statements of work, nondisclosure agreements, practitioner and medical personnel agreements, commercial property leases, and consulting and employment agreements
- Monitor external developments in corporate, data privacy and healthcare regulatory compliance, including changes in laws and regulations and industry best practices
The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully.
- LL.B. and in good standing with the appropriate provincial law society
- Ideally multi-jurisdictional experience with financial regulatory bodies and securities exchanges across North America
- Previous experience as general counsel in a fast growth environment or in a law firm servicing fast growth clients
- Experience as general counsel in highly regulated industries an asset
- Experience providing legal advice and counsel pertaining to mergers and acquisitions is an asset
- Depth of experience in contract law, negotiating multi-party contracts, partnerships, joint ventures
- Demonstrated capability to create, implement and manage an in-house legal function in a public company in a cost-effective manner
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly organized self-starter who can manage multiple projects and figure out complex problems without a lot of oversight
- Hands-on, collaborative, collegial, takes accountability and will dive in to make sure things get done
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity
- Results-driven and detail-oriented
- Capable of working independently and autonomously
This position can be fully remote. If you are located in Vancouver, due to government health regulations for COVID-19, our teams are working remotely. Once COVID-19 restrictions are eased, our teams will have the option of working from our office in Gastown.
At Numinus, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and accessible work environment. We welcome and celebrate differences because we believe a multitude of perspectives fosters innovation and will help us achieve our ultimate purpose of delivering the highest quality outcomes to the people we serve. Our culture is one of belonging in which each person is accepted and valued for their individuality. As such, if you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know so we can work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all of those who take the time to apply; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.