The cannabis industry is one of the fastest growing segments of the economy, and intellectual property (IP) is becoming an increasingly important element for the sustained growth of the industry. The future of IP development, transactions, licensing, and litigation for the cannabis industry is now being established, and tremendous opportunity exists for experienced IP practitioners to establish themselves as leading figures and thought leaders in the cannabis industry.
The Company has an industry leading patent portfolio and growth strategy and is seeking a patent litigator with at least six years of patent litigation and PTAB experience. The selected candidate will directly handle day-to-day case and licensing demands in the fast-growing cannabis and hemp industries. This requires an entrepreneurial spirit and someone with a wide range of technical, legal, and business development and negotiation skills. This role will provide the candidate with an opportunity to be at the forefront of patent enforcement for the cannabis industry.
- Initiate, defend, and manage post issuance patent proceedings such as post grant reviews, inter partes reviews, oppositions, and patent litigation.
- Handle all phases of litigation: pleadings, discovery, depositions, motions practice, hearings, pre-trial and trial, mediation, settlement. Establish and develop streamlined SOPs for all patent proceedings.
- Participate in: acquisition and licensing negotiations in both contentions and non-contentious settings; licensing campaigns; due diligence; and the drafting, reviewing, and negotiation of agreements covering intellectual property rights.
- Proactive and resourceful, with ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, deadlines, ambiguity, and operating in novel situations.
- Assist in identifying potential assets for acquisition and licensing, international patent prosecution and portfolio management, patent drafting, IP audits, idea generation and harvesting, and IP partnership tasks with select partners.
- Generally, at least six years of patent litigation experience, we welcome applicants with substantially more experience.
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the ability to handle IPRs and IPR defense.
- Bar membership in good standing in your state of residence with preference given to those licensed to practice in Oregon, California, and/or Colorado.
- Scientific degree(s), with a preference for organic chemistry, engineering, and/or physics. Formulation, pharmaceutical, and chemical expertise is appreciated, including botanical extraction (water, ethanol, Co2, hydrocarbon (butane), polar and non-polar solvents). Cannabis and hemp specific experience is appreciated but not required.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
Pay: $150,000.00 – $200,000.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- More than 1 year
- Fully Remote