Full Job Description
At TerrAscend, we are on a mission to shape the future of the cannabis industry by creating leading marijuana-based therapies for patients and developing premium products for legalized adult recreational use. We are one of the largest and fastest growing multi-state, vertically integrated cannabis operators in North America. We’re on a roll and are just getting started!
It’s a Joint Effort!
We believe that How We Work Together Matters. Our priority is to assemble a team that believes not just in what we do but how and why we do it. Our most successful team members know that being of service to our patients, our customers, and each other is what separates us from other organizations. Our continued success is dependent upon bringing together the brightest minds in business with best-in-class cultivation and elevated patient and customer experiences, so we continue to set the standard for the industry.
Sound like weed be a good fit? Here’s where you come in.
We are looking for an experienced and highly skilled attorney to serve as our Senior Corporate Counsel, Northeast. This role will serve as the primary general counsel for all legal issues for the Northeast Business Unit; responsible for providing legal advice and support on a variety of corporate legal matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financings, and general corporate governance. You will also be responsible for drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts and overseeing litigation. In this role, you will report directly to the Associate General Counsel, Head of Contracts, M&A and Litigation and will work closely with the Chief Legal Officer and other members of the legal team, as well as with business leaders across the Northeast.
The ideal candidate will have at least 7 years of relevant legal experience, including experience with mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and commercial contracts. You must also have excellent academic credentials, strong writing and communication skills, and the ability to think creatively and solve problems.
The ideal candidate will be located within the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Maryland markets. This role will be remote work the majority of the time with some requirement to be in-office in King of Prussia, PA as needed for meetings.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Serve as the primary legal advisor to TerrAscend’s Northeast Business Unit and executive management team on all aspects of the company’s business
- Proactively identify, assess, and manage legal risks associated with the company’s Northeast’s business activities
- Advise on a broad range of legal issues impacting the company, including corporate governance, securities laws, regulatory compliance, commercial contracts, intellectual property, employment law, and data privacy
- Negotiate and draft a variety of complex commercial agreements, including partnerships, joint ventures, licensing, supply, and service agreements
- Oversee the work of outside counsel and provide strategic direction on litigation matters
- Provide practical and proactive advice on employment law matters, including union matters, hiring, performance management, employee discipline, leaves of absence, and terminations
- Assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures designed to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Stay abreast of legal developments that could impact the company’s business, and proactively recommend changes to company policies and procedures as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience requirements:
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
- LLM or other advanced law degree
- Admission to a state bar
- 7-10+ years of experience as an attorney, with at least 5 years in a corporate legal department or large national law firm
- Experience working in-house for a publicly traded company
- Experience with SEC filings and reporting requirements
- Familiarity with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- Experience providing advice on a broad range of legal issues, including contracts, M&A, employment law, litigation, and regulatory compliance
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Cannabis industry experience nice to have but not required
Benefits (full-time employees eligible):
- Employee Discount (all employees eligible)
- Paid Time Off
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (with telehealth option)
- 401k with 4% company matching (100% vested immediately)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Life Insurance
- Short & Long Term Disability
The annual salary range for this position is $125,000 – $225,000
*** Background Check Requirement ***
As a condition of employment, a complete background investigation will be conducted based on the rules of the specific State in which the employee is hired. Typically, the state investigative process includes a state and federal background check.
At TerrAscend, employees and applicants are evaluated based on their qualifications, skills, and ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. TerrAscend is committed to assuring equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
TerrAscend is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, pregnancy or related medical conditions, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, to include gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and gender identity, or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. Our commitment to equal opportunity employment applies to all persons involved in our operations and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including supervisors and coworkers.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The list of job responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, and the like is not exhaustive, rather it is illustrative of the current essential functions required for the position.
This organization participates in E-Verify.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9. E-Verify Works for Everyone For more information on E-Verify, or if you believe that your employer has violated its E-Verify responsibilities, please contact DHS.
Esta Organización Participa en E-Verify.
Este empleador participa en E-Verify y proporcionará al gobierno federal la información de su Formulario I-9 para confirmar que usted está autorizado para trabajar en los EE.UU.. Si E-Verify no puede confirmar que usted está autorizado para trabajar, este empleador está requerido a darle instrucciones por escrito y una oportunidad de contactar al Departamento de Seguridad Nacional (DHS) o a la Administración del Seguro Social (SSA) para que pueda empezar a resolver el problema antes de que el empleador pueda tomar cualquier acción en su contra, incluyendo la terminación de su empleo. Los empleadores sólo pueden utilizar E-Verify una vez que usted haya aceptado una oferta de trabajo y completado el Formulario I-9. Para más información sobre E-Verify, o si usted cree que su empleador ha violado sus responsabilidades de E-Verify, por favor contacte a DHS.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $125,000.00 – $225,000.00 per year