The use of cannabis for medical purposes is a controversial but an important topic of public and scientific interest. We report on the results of a self-administered questionnaire study conducted in the United Kingdom between 1998 and 2002. The questionnaire consisted of 34 items and included demographic data, disease and medication use patterns and cannabis use profiles. Subjects were self-selected; 3663 questionnaires were distributed and 2969 were returned [1805 (60.9%) women, mean age 52.7 years (SD 12.7)]. Medicinal cannabis use was reported by patients with chronic pain (25%), multiple sclerosis and depression (22% each), arthritis (21%) and neuropathy (19%). Medicinal cannabis use was associated with younger age, male gender and previous recreational use (p < 0.001). While caution must be exercised in interpreting these data, they point to the need for clinical studies of cannabis and cannabinoids with standardised and quality-controlled products.
- Medicinal and recreational marijuana use by patients infected with HIV.AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2004 Apr;18(4):215-28. doi: 10.1089/108729104323038892.PMID: 15142352 Clinical Trial.
- Cannabis use in Spanish patients with multiple sclerosis: fulfilment of patients’ expectations?J Neurol Sci. 2008 Oct 15;273(1-2):103-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2008.06.037. Epub 2008 Aug 8.PMID: 18691726
- Rural doctors’ attitudes to and knowledge of medicinal cannabis.J Law Med. 2006 Aug;14(1):135-42.PMID: 16937787
- Evidence for using cannabis and cannabinoids to manage pain.Nurs Times. 2004 Dec 7-13;100(49):38-40.PMID: 15630971 Review.
- Cannabis: its therapeutic use.Nurs Stand. 2001 Nov 21-27;16(10):39-44. doi: 10.7748/ns2001.11.16.10.39.c3123.PMID: 11975210 Review.
Cited by 43 articles
- Do characteristics of marijuana use correspond to overall health levels for medical marijuana patients?J Subst Use. 2018;23(3):307-311. doi: 10.1080/14659891.2017.1394383. Epub 2017 Nov 2.PMID: 30881220 Free PMC article.
- Primary Causes of Hospitalizations and Procedures, Predictors of In-hospital Mortality, and Trends in Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Events Among Recreational Marijuana Users: A Five-year Nationwide Inpatient Assessment in the United States.Cureus. 2018 Aug 23;10(8):e3195. doi: 10.7759/cureus.3195.PMID: 30402363 Free PMC article.
- Study of cannabinoid receptor 2 Q63R gene polymorphism in Lebanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Clin Rheumatol. 2018 Nov;37(11):2933-2938. doi: 10.1007/s10067-018-4217-9. Epub 2018 Jul 21.PMID: 30032418
- Plant-Based Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Chronic Neuropathic Pain.Medicines (Basel). 2018 Jul 1;5(3):67. doi: 10.3390/medicines5030067.PMID: 29966400 Free PMC article. Review.
- Rates of cannabis use in patients with cancer.Curr Oncol. 2018 Jun;25(3):219-225. doi: 10.3747/co.25.3983. Epub 2018 Jun 28.PMID: 29962840 Free PMC article.