We identify, evaluate, and acquire U.S.-based cannabis operations within each state to vertically integrate, produce, and distribute medical-grade cannabis formulations in the United States offering patients and customers premium, high-grade cannabis and related products.
The Corporate Counsel – Real Estate will be integrated into a fast-paced, dynamic environment, supporting the company’s Legal Department, and helping to ensure that organization-wide business strategies, policies, and programs are developed and applied in full recognition of all legal implications and risks, including the formulation of internal policies to ensure compliance with applicable law. The Corporate Counsel – Real Estate will principally provide legal counsel in the areas of real property and related fields but will also assist in legal areas ranging from general corporate matters, corporate governance, employment, corporate compliance, litigation, and training.
- Providing timely and insightful advice and counsel to the leadership team on a wide variety of legal, regulatory, compliance, and governance matters
- Ensuring that the company conducts its multi-State business operations in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Researching unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes
- Supporting collaboration across the organization and ensuring a cohesive approach that supports the achievement of business strategies and goals
- Researching a broad range of legal-related issues, including zoning and entitlement issues, contractor disputes, and cannabis laws, rules and regulations
- Applying sound legal judgment and abiding by professional ethics.
- Providing strategic business and legal advice to develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to our relationships with key partners
- Developing, promulgating and enforcing appropriate company policies and processes to ensure compliance with laws and regulations applicable to its business
- Managing legal risks and assisting in managing business and disputes
- Participating in the development of corporate policies, procedures, and programs and provides counsel and guidance upon critical legal matters
- Collaborating with the company’s accounting and finance departments to manage regulatory affairs, corporate governance, and risk management initiatives
- Reviewing, drafting and/or negotiating a broad range of contracts and agreements for the business
- Developing strategic policies, processes and educational materials to minimize company legal exposure as well as educating and training company management on legal risks and ramifications
- Moving the organization forward by working collaboratively with colleagues to arrive at and implement short and long-term organizational decisions that utilize organizational, industry, and competitive knowledge
- Demonstrating excellent legal and business judgment and strategic thinking, along with the ability to work independently
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- JD from an accredited law school and an active bar license in good standing
- 3-5 years of professional work as an attorney
- Experience in negotiating and drafting real property purchase and sale agreements, sale-leaseback transactions, real property financing (including mortgages, collateralized loans and mezzanine financing) leases, equipment purchase and lease agreements, agreements with architects, contractors and other service providers, and other commercial transactions.
- Experience with zoning, entitlements, surveys, easements and other issues related to the company’s real estate portfolio
- Managing lease renewal process, including accurately identifying and maintaining data related to term expirations, renewal notice deadlines, termination and other material deadlines
- Experience creating and supporting legal processes and internal controls
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a cross-department, cross-functional role preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word required
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Jushi is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
We offer benefit packages that may include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short, and Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, and 401(k).