patent: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
To use intellectual property law to empower entrepreneurs, innovators, and creators by helping them protect and monetize what they create.
We pride ourselves on our exceptional work product and customer service, creative problem solving and strategic advice, and strong relationships, all while maintaining each team member’s autonomy and flexibility. We value each other, our clients, and working together.
Who We Are:
We are not your ordinary IP law firm. Aura IP Law is a cutting-edge law firm that prides itself on disrupting the traditional “practice of law” with remote working and alternative billing arrangements.
We are out-of-the-box thinkers determined to help our clients protect their valuable IP. One of our main focus areas is cannabis and plant medicine. We are paving the way for innovators and brands in this space to protect their intellectual property. We are tackling the tough issues a federally illegal industry faces and finding creative ways to obtain the meaningful protection they need and deserve.
We are women-owned and operated. Although we work remotely from each other, we have developed and implemented systems that allow us to work efficiently together as though we are in the same office. We believe in surrounding ourselves with not only the best and the brightest team members, but those who are compassionate, honest, hardworking, and enjoy being an integral part of a team. Aura IP Law is committed to social justice, including women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, civil rights, and prohibition reform. We believe that when all voices are heard and valued, we will be best equipped to support the success of our clients.
Why Aura IP Law?
Our case load is highly varied, fun, fast-moving, and challenging. We are pioneers in protecting intellectual property for the cannabis industry and other plant medicines. You will be working directly with our founder on a wide variety of matters.
We believe in setting you up for success. We work as a team and have checks and balances in place to ensure a unified approach to all work product while still allowing you the flexibility and freedom to manage your own workload.
You should be honest, dependable, respectful, fun, and care about being an asset to the team.
We expect you to take ownership of your work—by taking initiative, working independently, being resourceful, and having pride of authorship—and to produce consistent, quality work product.
You must have strong analytical and decision-making skills. We need people that are smart enough to make decisions on their own and also smart enough to know when they need input from others.
You must be highly self-motivated (we don’t micromanage) and able to manage a docket and juggle multiple priorities, while also being flexible and able to shift priorities when needed.
We are looking for a junior patent agent or attorney with experience or interest in trademarks and/or IP agreements. We will train the right patent person on trademarks and/or agreements. Patent experience is a must. This is a remote work position.
- Ability to apply advanced concepts in any life sciences and medical device fields and desire to learn to apply advanced concepts in cannabis and plant medicine
- Studying and analyzing technical documents to assess patentability, novelty and inventiveness
- Performing patent prior art and trademark clearance searches and analysis
- Drafting, filing and prosecuting patent and trademark applications before the USPTO
- Preparing substantive client correspondence
- Instructing local counsel for foreign filings and office actions
- Researching and drafting legal documents
- Drafting and reviewing IP licensing agreements
- Participating in meetings and phone calls with clients, examiners, and/or opposing counsel
Skills and Qualifications:
- A degree in a biological field
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- 2-5 years’ experience as a practicing patent agent
- JD and active license in any U.S. state for attorney applicants
- Excellent research and written and verbal communication skills, including use of proper grammar as well as formatting and proofreading documents before submitting for review
- Strong attention to detail, excellent analyzing, issue spotting, and organizational skills
- Ability to problem solve independently first before asking for help – in your cover letter, please include a link to a sample source code licensing agreement you found on the internet
- Ability to learn new systems quickly and use various software applications including Microsoft Office, Dropbox, video conferencing, online project management tools (we use Click up), docketing software, trademark search software (we use TMTKO and Markify)
- Strong internet and phone connection (provided by employee). Laptop provided by Aura IP Law.
- A professional workspace, including a space that is free of unnecessary distraction during all calls and business casual attire for external video chat meetings.
- Compliance with firm procedures and conventions (e.g., file naming and saving conventions, firm standard operating procedures, etc.).
- Willingness to work with minimal administrative support.
- Flexible schedule but generally available Mondays through Thursdays between the hours of 10 am and 5 pm PST and Fridays between 10 am and 3 pm PST.
- Proficiency tests required to apply.
- Managerial test required before starting the position.
- This is a remote, full-time employee position. You will be required to track your billable and non-billable time and meet certain metrics for billable time and time actually billed to clients.
- Hourly rate is between $35-65 / hour, depending on experience.
- Paid time off and potential for raises and bonuses. Medical benefits are not offered at this time.
Upload your resume and a one-page cover letter introducing yourself and telling us what part of this ad resonates with you the most! Please be sure to use the word “canna” creatively in a sentence in the re: line of your cover letter. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to interview every candidate we hear from so if you want this position be sure we know that from your cover letter! We are a small team and will not be able to reply to every applicant.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45.00 – $65.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
- patent: 1 year (Preferred)
- Fully Remote