California: Latest Updates From Green Growth CPA & The Bureau of Cannabis Control

  • Los Angeles has amended a few sections within their cannabis rules and regulations. Click through the link below for key updates.
  • Culver City is considering altering the number of cannabis business permits allowed within the city. A meeting will take place on Monday, July 9, 2018 to determine these changes. Read more at the link below.
  • The California Bureau of Cannabis Control released a cannabis transition fact sheet recapping requirements and regulations.

Read moreCannabis News from Los Angeles, Culver City, and the California Bureau of Cannabis Control



The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has released new resources to assist cannabis manufacturers and other businesses in understanding and evaluating compliance with packaging and labeling requirements.

Packaging and Labeling Checklists:

Packaging Checklist for Cannabis and Cannabis Products – this checklist includes an explanation of child-resistant packaging requirements:

Labeling Checklist for Cannabis Products:

Labeling Checklist for Cannabis Products with Small Containers:

Common Packaging and Labeling Questions:

What are the labeling requirements for cannabis and pre-rolls that only contain cannabis?

Cannabis (flower and pre-rolls that only contain flower) must meet the basic requirements outlined in Business & Professions Code – Division 10, Chapter 12. CDPH has not specified any additional requirements for cannabis in the emergency regulations.

Can CDPH provide feedback on my label?

CDPH is not able to review manufacturer’s labels for all of the cannabis products that are sold throughout the state of California.

Can I make the Universal Symbol white or another light color if my packaging is dark?

The Universal Symbol must be black. It cannot be modified, other than resizing, and the color cannot be changed from black. The symbol must be visible on your label. If your packaging is dark, you can use a lighter background color on your label where the symbol will be placed or you can outline the symbol using a contrasting color.

Which products require opaque packaging?

Only edible cannabis products are required to be in opaque packaging. Edibles are products similar to traditional food products, such as cakes, cookies, beverages and juices, tea and coffee, chocolates, gummies, gum and mints.

Additional FAQs on packaging and labeling are available on our website:

About the Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch

The California Department of Public Health’s Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch (MCSB) is one of three state cannabis authorities charged with licensing and regulating commercial cannabis activity in California. MCSB regulates all commercial cannabis manufacturing in the state and strives to protect public health by ensuring commercial cannabis manufacturers operate safe, sanitary workplaces and produce products that are free of contaminants, meet product guidelines and are properly packaged and labeled.

For more information on CDPH’s Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, visit For questions, contact us: or (855) 421-7887.

Primary Sponsors

Get Connected

Karma Koala Podcast

Top Marijuana Blog